+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Availability of 8.3% Bleach Is Nil

Default Availability of 8.3% Bleach Is Nil

Hello everyone. It has been a while!

I wanted to ask the group if they are having a hard time finding 8.3% bleach these days? It is like it has come off the market? Our local WalMart doesn't have it nor does one single grocery store within miles. We keep looking but can't find it. We did find a source at Home Cheap-O, but you guys all snatch it up and it is rarely in stock. What gives? I mean, it doesn't look like the stores are out necessarily because we don't even see empty spaces. It's like the industry caught on to us and have decided to bend us over. Anyone have a clue?

Thanks!
    25,750 ga 18x36 Rectangle IG Vinyl liner; Hayward 250 sand filter; 1.5 hp pump. PF=4.4

Default Re: Availability of 8.3% Bleach Is Nil

The title might be misleading... Any 8+% is hard to find. I pulled the 8.3 number out of my head. Sorry :-)
    25,750 ga 18x36 Rectangle IG Vinyl liner; Hayward 250 sand filter; 1.5 hp pump. PF=4.4

This past spring Kroger was still selling 8+% in our area. It’ll be interesting to see if they still have it this fall when I close.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

As of 2018, it seems the market has reverted -- following Clorox -- to 6% household bleach as a standard.

But . . . Walmart has begun selling 10% pool bleach very widely, and for the same price as household bleach. You can check Walmart.com to see which stores local to you stock it.

Locally, the price of 10% Wal-Mart pool bleach is $3.22/gal. and the jugs are quite old (3-6mo.+). So, having calculated the labeled chlorine content and still at Wal-Mart, we are buying the green labeled 6.0% "cleaning" bleach for $1.77/gal. It works out to be cheaper.

Do we have a calculator here?

Here in Houston area, Aldi sells 8.25% for around $2.68.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

@Palmyra: Interesting. Locally, Walmart store brand plain bleach, and the pool bleach are nearly the same price. I'll have to check dates on the bottles I've seen. -- No calculators here, sorry. --

@Andy49: Thanks for that info. I'll have to check and see if that's true locally. If so, it may be true nationally.

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

In years passed, used 8% cleaning bleach from Walmart, but they stopped carrying that so went to the 10% "chlorinating liquid", but it seems our local store orders at the beginning of the season and when it runs out, its gone, and they won't order anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by swimdaddy View Post
    In years passed, used 8% cleaning bleach from Walmart, but they stopped carrying that so went to the 10% "chlorinating liquid", but it seems our local store orders at the beginning of the season and when it runs out, its gone, and they won't order anymore.
    This is very similar to our experience. Our local Walmart usually has 10% "chlorinating liquid" left at the end of the season and they carry it over until the following spring. Some of it can get pretty old, before anybody takes it....
    20'x40' rectangular 25.5K gal IG vinyl pool; Hayward S270T sand filter; 1 hp Hayward Pump (SP2607X10; K-2006C

So long as it is stored INSIDE the store (below 80 deg F), it should be fine.

I looked at the bottle I have; how did you decode the date?

+ Reply to Thread