+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ok I Give In !!

Default Ok I Give In !!

Hi all, I had our pool installed about 15 years ago, so have been through quite a bit with it.

Relying mostly on the local pool store, I have had a guy I talked to there and he has been pretty helpful over the years. Although I know he upsold me some things, he would also give me some alternatives as well. Anyway, he is no longer there, so I have tried others there. The guy I talked to a few days ago about an algae bloom I cant get rid of had me buying all kinds of things. When I asked him how big of a pool he said, he didn't have one. Lol

At any rate, I have spent the last couple of days reading up on this forum and willing to give it a try. Just ordered new Taylor test kit (2oz bottle version) and looking forward to getting a swimming pool that is always swim ready.

Normally, my pool is kinda swim ready, hasn't been sparkling clear in years, but can get it somewhat clear with a shock and flox usually. Just in reading these forums I can see that my CH levels on a daily basis are probably too low.

At any rate, looking forward to see how things go from here, when I left this morning the pool looked better, CH levels were over 10 best I can tell with my test kit that goes to 5 (I took two fills of the small vial and used the bigger vial, but with same 5 drops, still over 5). I didn't test it this morning. I am hoping I will get the dull grey color when I finally get home tonight.

16x36ft Fiberglass pool (approx. 18000 gal), 4 cartridge, heater (only use sparingly). I am embarrassed to say everything I have put in there the past week Since I will be out of town this weekend, I am just going to try and get this stuff cleared up, drop another bag to shock before I go and keep my tabs going.

Since I don't get my test kit for a few days, I may take it up to store and get the readings they have at least...

Thanks to all those that have helped so many, hopefully I can do what I need to do just using search, but its great to know there are so many willing tohelp.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Ok I Give In !!

1. Stop using "shock" bags. Almost everything sold that way is a witch's brew of dichlor or cal hypo PLUS 3 or 4 other, often useless, chemicals.

2. Find out -- even approximately -- what your stabilizer level is. A greenish cloudy pool requires a chlorine PPM level equal to, or greater than, 1/4 (25%) of the CYA level!

3. Use bleach till you know what's in your pool. Cal hypo adds calcium . . . which you may not need. Dichlor adds stabilizer . . . which you may not need. If you can't buy 10% "Pool Chlorinating Liquid" (available at most super-Walmarts) buy PLAIN 6% bleach. Non-Clorox brand is best, since Clorox is putting additives in most of the bleach they sell.

4. Post your pump and filter models. You almost certainly need new -- and probably better -- filter cartridges. It's not normal for well-operated pools to be cloudy.

5. If your pool water is truly a witch's brew from past chemicals added, consider draining and refilling if water is not too costly. But ONLY IF THE GROUND IS DRY -- fiberglass pools will 'float' out of wet ground in a heartbeat! Plan to do this AFTER you are ready to do the chemistry, testing, and filtration . . . the RIGHT way.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Ok I Give In !!

Upgraded membership and moved thread to the IG pool section. You may need to log out and back in to see everything.

PS.You can search use Google to search multiple pool sites, using Google's 'advanced search operators" to limit your search to specific sites. This page of mine will create the search links for you. Google knows my site -- and all the others -- much better than those sites internal search functions! And, if you need to post pictures -- of your pool, filter, pump, piping, what-not -- there are instructions on this page

+ Reply to Thread