+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air Release for Aqua Pro 24 Sand Filter

Default Air Release for Aqua Pro 24 Sand Filter

New pool owner here (well, renter technically). The landlord started the process of opening the pool but has handed it off to me to complete. Chemical balance is good and tests are all within ideal range, pump is running and maintaining a good prime, but we had some learning curve with vacuuming the pool.

The landlord bought an automatic suction cleaner and instructed us to use it on waste, like a manual cleaner. It quickly dropped the level of the pool below the regulator valve in the skimmer, which introduced air to the system. We learned that lesson quickly, re-primed the pump and waited for the pool to fill to the brim before running the cleaner again, shutting it off each time it neared the regulator valve in the skimmer.

The problem now is that there is air in the filter that I can't figure out how to release. It is an Aqua Pro 24" Sand Filter, and it has a sight glass that is 3/4 full of air. The user manual has only one mention of an air release that points to the outlet fitting identifying it as a "manual air release", does this mean I should attempt to open the outlet fitting while running to let air out? That doesn't seem right to me.

There is no other air release valve or bleeder that I can see. Anyone know how I should attempt to remove air from the filter system?

Thanks in advance!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Air Release for Aqua Pro 24 Sand Filter

1. Air in the sight glass does not necessarily mean air in the tank.

2. You can install your own air bleed systems -- if needed -- with these items (plus tools and Teflon tape . . . and know-how):
    1/4" FIP brass tee
    1/4" MPT brass close nipple
    1/4" MPT brass 2" nipple
    1/4" brass ball valve, MIP x FIP
    3. Even if there's air in the tank, it may not be a problem. The two most common actual problems I've seen are:
    (a) air blowback during pump serving, resulting loss of prime
    (b) air dissolving into pool water, causing milky water that dissipates if the pump is turned off.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Upgraded membership and moved thread to the pool equipment section. You may need to log out and back in to see everything.

PS.You can search use Google to search multiple pool sites, using Google's 'advanced search operators" to limit your search to specific sites. This page of mine will create the search links for you. Google knows my site -- and all the others -- much better than those sites internal search functions! And, if you need to post pictures -- of your pool, filter, pump, piping, what-not -- there are instructions on this page

Based on that reply, I'm not sure it's really an issue. I do know the sight glass was full before we lost prime due to the suction cleaner sucking in air when the level dropped to low. However, since the pump is maintaining prime now and the filter is within operating pressure (15PSI of a 10-20PSI rating), and the water does appear to be clarifying, perhaps it's a non-issue?

I hesitate to modify the system where this place is a rental. If I was to add an air bleeder, where would I do so? The only 1/4 NPT fitting on the filter that I see is the pressure gauge.

Sorry, should have made that clear.

The 'tee' is so you can screw the gauge back in after adding the bleeder. But . . . don't do it unless you need to do so!

+ Reply to Thread