Closed Thread

Thread: Draining Vinyl Pools - The Membrane Method

Default Draining Vinyl Pools - The Membrane Method

It was suggested on another forum that a vinyl lined pool can be safely and completely drained. The idea is to use plastic sheeting sized to be maybe 10' larger than the pool on all sides. The sheeting is spread over the pool and fresh water is introduced to the top side of the sheet. The fresh water begins to sink the sheet, and as it sinks the sheet forms a membrane that complies with the underlying vinyl. The old water is displaced by the new and the new allows the vinyl liner to hold its shape and location.

Does anyone have any knowledge of such a technique? Is the process likely to damage a vinyl pool?

-Jim
    Last edited by cheshamjim; 06-17-2006 at 07:04 PM.
    Jim
    16' x 32' / 15,400 gal / IG vinyl
    All testing done with
    PS234 test kit

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Draining Vinyl Pools - The Membrane Method

In theory it should work just fine. Last Summer I saw someone doing something with a large plastic sheet on one of the local IG pools and I suspect that is what they did. Since the sheeting doesn't have to hold for long, maybe a couple days for a fill, you could probably get away with duct taping sheets together if you can't find a single piece big enough.
    Al

My question would have to be; What happens when the sheet plugs up the skimmer? You would have to have a pump below the plastic or else a bottom drain which could work somehow, although I don't know how. If you took two hoses and siphoned the water out of the pool while filling with another hose on top it could work also. Maybe even one hose to siphon it. Personally I like the idea and if it ever comes up I will try it for sure.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Guess I never considered the skimmer plugging issue. Always considered a submersible pump as the fill rates would usually be slow so the drain wouldn;t have to be that fast. I can also imagine some kind of a rig to keep the plastic away from the skimmer slightly and allow bottom water to reach it. Guess you could also hook the vacuum hose to the skimmer and just use it to suck from the bottom.
    Al

Closed Thread