+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do folks backwash?

Default How do folks backwash?

I'm wondering how all of you backwash your filters, what kind of methods you use.

I have to backwash pretty often - though my neighbor, who also has a pool, say I shouldn't have to but should instead tear down the filter and just clean it. But I'd be doing that every month.

Anyway, for years I didn't maintain it but since taking over about 7 years ago, the water just spills out right near where the filter is, and my other neighbors complain. So I'm looking for information about backwashing - how often, where the backwashed water goes, etc.

Many thanks.
    20,000 gallon plaster (concrete) pool
    DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: How do folks backwash?

Traffic is low on the forum currently, so you're not likely to get many answers. I can make a couple of observations that may be helpful:

1. If filter backwash runs on to the street or your neighbor's yard, it is technically a Federal violation. This situation has a complicated history, and the violation is rarely enforced, except . . . where there are PO'd neighbors who get upset, declare "there OUGHT to be a law", and go looking for one. It's best to avoid that situation. In Cali, the local enforcement authorities WILL be aware of the relevant law and enforcement process.

2. In the West, because of water restrictions and other issues. many pool owners use cartridge filters. If you buy one that's large enough, you can probably go 3 months between cleaning. But there are potential problems if you have a large pump, or a variable speed pump. I've listed a recommended filter below, but you should tell me what pump you have, and let me make sure there's no problem BEFORE you purchase.

3. If the problem is the DE powder in the backwash, and not the water itself, you can use DE socks to capture the waste powder. BUT . . . you'll probably need to manifold multiple socks together, to avoid blowing out the sock. 6 Pack DE Filter Backwash Sock

Recommended cartridge filter:
    Hayward C7030 SwimClear Cartridge Filter, 700 sft

Extra set of cartridges:
    Hayward CX591XREPAK4 Replacement Cartridge

Cautions:
    • There are other filters, but AVOID the StaRite System3.
    • Get an oversize filter. Really! There are many reasons.
    • Get a multi-cartridge filter. Filters with huge single or double cartridges are unmanageable.
    • Get an extra set of cartridges, so you can soak and wash properly.
    • Failing to clean dirty cartridges can destroy them if you have a powerful pump.
    • Make sure your filter gauge works. Replace it as necessary

Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-02-2018 at 07:58 PM.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Moving thread to pool operations forum section . . .

Thanks, i was entirely unsure if I had it in the right place.

My filter is a Purex (Pentair) 2000, 36 sq. ft. The pump is a Pentair Whisper-Flo (anything but), 3/4 HP.

I'll be damned if I can figure out where the various pool guys backwashed to. Maybe they had their own backwash hoses.
    DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

Looked at some old drawings; I'm fairly sure that's not really a back-washable filter. It's no longer made, so I can't find a manual, but I would imagine the service guys just opened it, and a port or drain at the bottom, and washed it down.

DE powder is find in garden soil; you just don't want it blowing around and getting into your lungs.

There's a whole rig on bottom where, in one position it's normal and the other it says backwash.

Can I add a few images?
    Last edited by SL Dan; 08-03-2018 at 06:21 PM.
    DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

Sorry; can't help.

I've never been around that filter, and didn't see a manual online.

DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

Looks like that manual is only partially readable? And, I assume you do NOT have the associated separation tank?

Still, with my limited experience with residential pressure DE filters (most of the DE filters I've worked with were giant commercial vacuum DE filters), it's worthwhile to periodically break down the filter. Unlike sand filters, backwashing DE filters only seems to work partially. Full cleaning requires opening the filter, ESPECIALLY if you haven't done so in a while.

I've done it 4 or 5 times so far this year. And right, I don't have the separation tank. Until I DL'ed that manual, I didn't even realize there was a separation tank. This filter was gotten by our last pool man.

But I'm wondering what most people who have DE filters do with waste water/DE/algae when they backwash.
    DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

+ Reply to Thread