Hello all,

New to the forum about 10 years into my pool. After installation never had a single problem until last summer. All the sudden I’m breaking out with a rash when in the pool for more than 5 min or so. Endured it last summer and until now this summer but growing more and more annoyed with it. I am the only one breaking out doesn’t affect my wife or grandkids.

Came here to research and find some interesting new info from PoolDoc about the bath test and residual chemicals in water. Planning to drain and refill to start over soon if all goes well with the chlorine bath test. Will be doing that when the latest rash completely clears up.

One point I found curious was a suggestion that the chlorine level should be around 10% the CYA level if the level was high. Did I understand that correctly? I understand lowering CYA level is only achieved by drain and replace.

My ozonator had quit working but was replaced about a month ago and seems to be working properly.

I seem to have the problem regardless of Ch level. Near zero or 5 doesn’t matter. Ph anywhere between 7-8 doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Have tried all the suggestions from several local pool companies, all to no benefit. Am worried about the residual chemical brew that may be in the water after using various algaecides, different chlorines (stabilized and non), non-chlorine shock, cheap shock from home centers, phosphorus remover, etc

Summary of equipment and latest test results:

Fiberglass 12x24 appt 5000 gal
Cartridge filter
Prozone Ozone injector
Nature 2 Express mineral sanitizer
Inline Chlorine Dispenser Usually use Trichlor tablets

Test Results as of 7/28/18
Free Chlorine 4.6
Combined Ch .4
Ph 7.6
Alk 80
CYA ~150

I’ll continue to research the threads on irritation and see if I discover something. In the meantime any suggestions as to the problem are welcome!

Bill