+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie here

Default Newbie here

Hi I'm new here. We have been wanting a pool for a while and are in the process of getting estimates. Based on the pricing, DH is questioning if it's worth it. For EVERYTHING (fixing draining...gunite pool...cutting trees, leveling ground..etc), it's looking like $65,000-70,000 and we live in Georgia. I am to here learn and get some insight before we pull the trigger. I want to make sure it's really worth it to me before we move forward. We have 2 kids ages 7 and 11 who would probably use it daily.

Thanks!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Newbie here

I'm going to respond quickly, now. A fuller response will have to wait.

It seems you are asking how can y'all can be sure that you won't regret, say 2 years from now, spending $70,000 on a pool. In my experience, there are two important aspects to the answer to this question, and you are probably only aware of one.

The part you probably ARE aware of, is the question "Will we enjoy the pool as much as we think?"

The part you probably are NOT aware of is the question "How can we be sure that the pool we have built isn't a maintenance nightmare?"

I can answer the SECOND question, but only YOU can answer the FIRST one. I can, however, offer some guides based on what I've seen:

1. Elementary aged kids enjoy pools, ESPECIALLY if they have friends who can join them. Middle school kids enjoy pools ONLY if they have friends who can join them. High school kids tend to enjoy pools for the same reasons as adults. In your situation, this means your kids may only REALLY enjoy the pool for a couple of years . . . unless they have a friend group who'll come over.

2. Women (high school and up) tend to enjoy pools for different reasons:
    => Sunbathing, often wearing less than they would at a public pool.
    => Socializing with female peers.
    => Parties
    => Pool appearance (ie, the pool as a decorative water feature)

3. Men tend to enjoy pools for
    => Parties.
    => As a tinker toy or gadget to work with. (Many regular posters on pool forums are in this category.)
    => Sex or sexual display. (This depends on relationships of course, but there are a lot of guys would go for pools if (a) the pool includes a visual fence and (b) their wife promises to shop at Wicked Weasel.)

4. Grandparents tend to enjoy pools
    => because they attract and please grandkids
    => as decoration
    => for parties.
    => for water exercise (often, because of arthritis or other issues)

But people vary. A lot. So, only you can work out how all this applies to you.

Something I've often recommended is a 'trial pool', like this Intex rectangle, to see if you will REALLY enjoy one. Water care and much of the maintenance is the same. Your kids will probably enjoy the Intex as much as a 'real pool'. However, I realize in some neighborhoods you'll get the stink-eye if you put one up.

Still it's a good option for 2% of the cost of a 'real pool' . . . and you can probably sell it for 1/2 what you pay, if next year you decide to build a 'real pool'.

The OTHER question, "How can we be sure that the pool we have built isn't a maintenance nightmare?" is technical and complicated.

I'll try to tackle it tonight.

Thank you soo much! We are progressing slowly and have a nice model of the pool and the paper work. We do want to shop around a bit. Any thoughts on a good on-line resource for finding pool builders? like Angie's list?

Thanks!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Sorry, but no, I don't.

I would encourage you to take your time, and do CAREFUL background checking on any builders you consider. Check all of the following:
    • BBB records
    • Copy of their business license
    • Insurance certificate
    • Any online info about the business name on the license
    • Past work history, going back at LEAST 3 years.

Unfortunately, many people do NOT do this, allowing some real shysters to operate for 2 - 4 years, before changing business names. Do NOT do business with someone who's gone bankrupt or is in default.

I didn't add the tech / equipment info, because I didn't hear from you. If you'll give me some info about the basic layout you are considering, I'll add some of that info, because it is of 'general interest' to other pool customers.

+ Reply to Thread