+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Concern for Bulge in Wall

Default Concern for Bulge in Wall

Hello all! Two years ago I discovered a small hole in my wall. An un-noticed puncture in the liner rusted the inner wall until it created a leak on the outer wall. I sealed both the inner and outer holes with JB weld and, aside from numerous wrinkles in the liner, all seemed well. Until now. The area within a few feet of the hole is looking strange. The wall in this spot has some slight bulging and warping. It feels firm and strong, but moves when pushed much easier than other parts of the wall. It feels strong (and sounds fine when tapped) but I'm concerned about it's integrity. Unfortunately it also protrudes behind a support pillar, so I can't see that part of the wall. I realize the only way to know for sure what's up is to drain and peel back the liner - a huge task! I feel I can keep going if I can reinforce the outside wall area - about 36"x36". I wonder if I can spray some sealing foam into the inside of the pillar and epoxy some sheet metal to the problem area to secure it? I will try to post pics in later in this thread, but wanted to get this posted ASAP first to see what your thoughts were. Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
    Steve Romo (6700g AG, Cartridge Filter)

Default Re: Concern for Bulge in Wall

Hi everyone. I am adding 2 additional pics and one short video clip of the area in question. PLEASE, anyone with any insight into this type of issue, let me know what you think. I am worried sick about this and really need some advice. Basically, my question is, do I... A) Let it go, this is normal and not a major concern. B) Wait till the fall, then drain the pool and replace the liner / fix the rust. C) Shut it down and repair immediately, it can rupture at anytime. Thanks!!

Hole interior: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vik694tx3...0Int2.JPG?dl=0
    Interior base: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvt4uhux7y...ption.jpg?dl=0
    Video of wall ripple: https://www.dropbox.com/s/607mapiwj2...20WMV.wmv?dl=0

Pix:

Thanks again!!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 07-24-2018 at 11:08 PM.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I'm not an AG pool expert, and no one who is, is posting on the PoolForum currently.

That said, through-and-through rust is a structural failure.

I'd never say, "It will fail as before this fall!"; I've been wrong too often with similar predictions. Rather, I'll say, "It COULD fail (blow out) at any time." The nature of AG wall structure is such that the only really effective repair will have to be done to the INSIDE of the wall. A thin panel of SS or galvanized steel, pop riveted to the existing wall could work. The problem is, many AG pools have a 'track' that the bottom edge of the panel rests in. This track structurally secures the bottom of the panel. If IT is damaged, you have a hard to fix problem.

The prudent move might be to consider, "How much damage will be done, if the wall blows out there, leaking the entire pool through a 10" diameter hole?. If the damage to the ground, surrounding area, track and post is not going to be a serious problem . . . then postpone repairs till the fall. Otherwise, you'd better go after it immediately.

A first step would be to dig down -- NOT where the damage is -- to determine what sort of track is at the base of the pool. A second step would be to contact the maker, and see if you can purchase the appropriate sections of track and a repair panel.

Or, you can call a local AG pool guy . . . if you can find a good one.

Good luck!

Thank you Ben. I have accepted the fact that I have no choice to shut it down and I have begun draining it so I can see what the extent of the rust / damage is behind the liner. I am expecting the worse and assuming that both the wall and liner are done. I see plenty of liners available for purchase, but I do NOT see a 54" pool wall for sale anywhere! Please oh please can someone tell me that you can purchase a wall and liner only. Accidents happen, can't I just replace just what's broken without starting over. Thanks for any replies.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

In most large towns, there are sheet metal shops specializing in stainless steel. You could get one of them to cut a repair panel, drill it for pop-rivets, and then supply you with stainless rivets. Have them put a very slight "hug edge" on the panel (they'll know what this is) so the corners and edges will not stick up. You'll have to buy your own pop-rivet gun, but Amazon sells them. Do NOT get cheap Chinese rivets!!!! Once everything is in place, cover the edges and rivets with silver Gorilla tape.

Without seeing the uncovered panel and track, I'm not sure whether you'd repair the panel before or after fixing the track. But I am 90% sure some version of this will work for you.

So, I found a found a nearby pool company that does this kind of repair. They had standard corrugated pool wall steel that fit over the interior damaged area and was riveted to the existing wall, they then placed foam padding over the wall and a new liner. It looks great and feels nice and sturdy. We're back up and swimming! I am so relieved that I didn't have to replace the entire wall or, even worse, have to rebuild the entire pool! Before / After pics links are attached. Thanks for the replies!

1. Damaged area:

[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogfwvrid6g...0Rust.JPG?dl=0[/IMG]

2. Repair area:

[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2lhp5sio2...20Fix.JPG?dl=0[/IMG]
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-28-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Often we never find out how things went!

Just out of curiosity - was this a salt water pool?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_in_NC View Post
    Just out of curiosity - was this a salt water pool?
    Doh! Good question. I should have thought of that! Thanks.

[ Salt is killing 10,000's of AG pools every year, now! ]

+ Reply to Thread