+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broken Hayward LED Cool Logic Light

Default Broken Hayward LED Cool Logic Light

Hello all.

So I am new here and have a question. I had one of my led pool lights stop working. I called a pool service company to order and replace it with a new one. When they came out they stated that they had a tough time getting the old one out and broke it. They are also stating that the only way to repair is to bust up concrete. It seems that the only thing left in place is the nitch.

Looks as if they didn't really know how to remove it (twist lock)
    Any advice??? Busting up concrete is expensive and intrusive.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Broken Hayward LED Cool Logic Light

What often happens is that the conduit carrying the power to the light is improperly installed or crimped after the light is in place. If that's the case, the only fix once the power cable breaks is in fact to bust concrete. The work-around I've used is a wet-splice of the power cable, but that's technically beyond most pool guys. The PROPER way to do it is install the conduit correctly, but that's rare.

However, I don't know if that's what happened.

You should be able to check, though. If the wire for the power supply still is in place on the box end of the conduit, but is missing from the niche, the cable probably broke when they were trying to extract it. Possibly, someone more skilled could have gotten the cable out, without breaking it. But if the conduit is broken or crimped under the deck, that's unlikely.

I'll spare you my rant, but if pool owners would spend 10% less on 'cool stuff' and 10% more on invisible construction quality improvements . . . this sort of crap would be much less common. But "cool" is easy to sell and boring "quality" (better valves, pipes, methods etc) is not.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Upgraded membership and moved thread to the IG repair section. You may need to log out and back in to see everything.

Thank you for the reply. As far as the mount of money I paid for the cool stuff. I actually paid for a professional install and expected just that. From the statt to the finish. It is definitely unfortunate.
    To follow up on this post with another question. There is water within this conduit. Is that normal. Since the light has been removed, will the pool leak?

Water in the conduit might, or might not, indicate broken or punctured conduit. However it DOES indicate the need to EITHER plug the conduit or leak test it before covering everything back up.

Quote Originally Posted by barnett oasis View Post
    a professional install
    Unfortunately, there are no acknowledged, much less accepted, "professional standards" in the pool industry. The nation-wide practice seems to be, "if we can get it past inspection, and if it will last the 1-year warranty . . . that's professional enough!"

But this is a somewhat self-inflicted injury on the part of pool buyers, who rather consistently prefer contractors who PROMISE the moon for LE$$, and will give them the job, rather than more rough-n-ready contractors who promise less, charge more, but who can actually DELIVER what the promise. Probably 30% of $80,000+ pools built in my area (NW Ga, SE Tn) in the last year, were built by contractors with histories of repeated bankruptcies, and near criminal actions.

One might think that people who can afford a $100,000 pool would be more likely to do 'due diligence' on their contractors. One would be wrong, though!

+ Reply to Thread