+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old Motor Seized Need New Pump

Question Old Motor Seized Need New Pump

Sooo.... come back from vacation and my most recent pump seized. I need a new pump. Would appreciate any recommendation!

The whole system is 30 years old (1989). At the very least, this is the fourth pump. I don't know what the original was, which hopefully was properly sized with the pool but ... mute, since I have no information. After I got the house in 2002, the pump was replaced 1-3 years later under a home warranty. Then some point later (at least 10 years ago), it was replaced with a 230v 1.5 HP single speed, 3450 RPM pump (this is the one that seized) that purchased from a local pool store. The pipe are 6" in circumference, so I guess 2" diameter piping.

In-store, the local Leslie's Pool offers Jazzuci (exclusive brand?) $870, Pentair SuperFlo VS ($920), and Hayward $920. Plus ~$80 to install. Both Pentair and Hayward offers a rebate if professionally installed and I believe they also increase the warranty. Pentair warranty is like 60 days when it's installed by the home owner but 1-2 years when installed by a professional.

The local pinch-a-penny pool store offered a Stayrite VS, which may be the exact duplicate of the Pentair SuperFlo VS, for $820 (discounted to try and match online, normally $920). They also said about $200 for install....

I looked online and the prices varies from the local pool prices and much lower.

* Pentair SuperFlo VS #342001 -- $745 - $650
    * Hayward Super Pump VS SP2603VSP -- $924 to $724

Is the SP2603VSP even correct for my pool? It states 1.5" union connections....

inyopools.com also has PureLine LP1615 230V $450 and PureLine Prime 1.66HP PL2605 for $599 (both are on 'clearance')....

The pump has been out for a week now...

Help!

Thank in advance!

-d
    15K gal. IG Plaster // Mytilus FRP Pac-Fab C-7699 // 1.5" Piping // CENTURY 1.5 HP Motor 3450 RPM 230v (AO Smith) // DOB 1989 // Attached 'SPA' // inline Heat Pump (has not been used for 10 years) with Jandy Diverter Valves // County Water as needed but frequency filled by rain in summer

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Old Motor Seized Need New Pump

I won't have time to work through this for a day or so, since I have to look up your equipment.

A couple of quick points:

1. Maintain your pool with Walmart 10% pool bleach, if there's adequate stabilizer. Or, with Sams Club dichlor (box of 24 x 1# dichlor bags) if your stabilizer is low.

2. Don't swim.

3. Don't buy Chinese engineering.
    [ The design quality is variable, but the QC consistently sucks, with probably 10% of even GOOD products arriving defective. Worse, with long-life equipment (like pool pumps) Chinese manufacturing NEVER produces durable products. ]

4. Check your pipe circumference again. With Schedule 40 pressure rated PVC, 2" pipe is 2" ID, with an actual OD of 2.375" [circumference = 7.5"]. 1.5" pipe is 1.9" OD [circumference = 5.7"] It sounds like you have 1.5" piping, and ought to be looking at 0.75 HP pumps. The upside of this is that the right pump will literally save you $1,000's over the next decade, assuming you operate year round. So it's worth taking your time, and getting it right.

Ben,

Thanks for taking a look. I have just double, triple, quad, etc. checked at various points on many pipes on the system. The joints are of course larger and I am ignoring those. The main piping is basically 6" OD (circumference). A google check at https://www.plumbingsupply.com/info-pipesizes.html, does state that it is 1.5" PVC Pipes.

I'll check the pool chemistry and pump in required stabilizer and/or chlorine. Thx.

-d
    15K gal. IG Plaster // Mytilus FRP Pac-Fab C-7699 // 1.5" Piping // CENTURY 1.5 HP Motor 3450 RPM 230v (AO Smith) // DOB 1989 // Attached 'SPA' // inline Heat Pump (has not been used for 10 years) with Jandy Diverter Valves // County Water as needed but frequency filled by rain in summer

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Yep. Small pump is mandated. Maximum efficient flow through 1.5" is 40 gpm or less.

https://rainbird.com/sites/default/f...lasticPipe.pdf
    https://www.hunterindustries.com/sit...oss_charts.pdf

OK. I looked at your equipment specs. Assuming:
    + 15k gal plaster pool
    + 1.5" ID S-40 PVC piping
    + Pentair 100sft cartridge filter
    I'd recommend a
    + Pentair 340042 SuperFlo 1hp 2spd Pool Pump 230 volt OR
    + Hayward SP2607X102S 1hp 2spd Super Pump 230 vold
    AND a spare
    + Unicel C-7699 Replacement Filter Cartridge
    (if you don't have a spare)
    I've liked the Hayward Super Pump for a long time in this sort of application. But the SuperFlo is designed specifically to compete, and is cheaper on Amazon. Both are 230 volt pumps with a toggle switch, so you do not have install complicated 2 speed pump wiring (which most pool guys, and many electricians can't do!). However, if you don't have a timer, installing one will pay for itself in a year or so, even with a 2 speed pump:
    + Intermatic T104 240-Volt DPST 24hr mechanical switch

Once you have it all in:
    1. Operate on low speed 8 - 24 hours per day
    2. Use high speed when vacuuming, etc.
    3. Rotate cartridges in and out, keeping a fairly clean cartridge in place.
    Several important points:
    + Both pumps are 240V, not 120V. Make sure you're ready for that.
    + The timer is also a 240V timer.
    + The timer will NOT toggle Hi/Lo, but only On/Off
    + YOU toggle Hi/Lo manually.
    + Dirty cartridges are damaged by large pumps FORCING water through them
    + Clean-ish cartridges work well with low speed pumps; dirty ones, not so much.
    + You should replace the pressure gauge, if is not working.
    =====> Winters SS filled gage w/brass internals, 0-60 psi 2.5" Dial +/-1.5% Accuracy, 1/4" NPT bottom mount
    + If your existing cartridge is shot, you should get TWO need cartridges.
    + Unicel cartridges are OEM quality; discount Chinese cartridges are NOT

A couple of other things.

+ Pentair models vary. I spoke with Pentair tech support to verify that that specific model has a toggle switch, and does not require special wiring. The support tech was not 100% sure, but thought that OTHER Pentair 2spd SuperFlo pumps may NOT have the toggle. So I'd recommend buying from the link (plus, I get a commission from Amazon).
    + Regardless, you do not want to get into wiring for 2 speed, unless you have a buddy who is an industrial electrician. THEY can do the wiring, right.

And even though the gauge I linked is a GOOD gage, it still is not freeze proof. If you want a freeze proof gage, that requires . . . well, stuff. I've intended, for years, to assemble and sell freeze-proof gauge sets for commercial pools, but I've never gotten around to it.

I had no considered 2-speeds. Are there advantages to a VS pump vs 2-speed pump? Additional savings?

What about the warranty for owner installed vs 'professional' ? In particular the Pentair is 60-days vs 1+ years?

-d

The savings from a 2 speed pump is HUGE. In typical installations, on LO, the pump moves about 1/3 of the water with 1/10 of the electricity (3x increase in efficiency) Also, filters function better with LOW flow, than with HIGH.

VS pumps save a little more, but are more expensive, more complex, and usually work best with electronic pool controls . . . which are ANOTHER point of failure. I'm not a huge fan, for simple pools.

+ Reply to Thread