Hello, folks! I have a Hayward 2.0 HP Superpump for my 25,000 gallon in-ground pool. I have noticed that lately, when the pump first turns on for the day, it hums for a few seconds and then stops. When I happen to have been out there when this happens, I'll turn off the timer power switch, wait a few seconds, then try again. It still hums then stops. On the third try, I happened to notice that after it hummed and stopped and I'd turned off the power, I waited a little longer and thought I heard a slight "click" come from the pump. I turned the power back on after this and it started right up. My husband had noticed this same problem when one day he went to turn the pump on for the first time earlier than the timer normally would turn it on, but I think he said he left the power on and the pump did its hum-and-stop thing a few times by itself before successfully turning on. I'm guessing this happens often, since the pool does seem to turn on by itself every day without any help from me. (I guess I should try going out there when it's set to turn on and observe what happens several days in a row.) I should also add that whenever we have manually turned OFF the pump (say, to backwash or clean skimmers) and then turned it on again soon after, it starts up without any hesitation.

Any ideas what the problem is? I was thinking starter switch or capacitor.