+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soft side pool, but need heavy duty stairs . . .

Question Soft side pool, but need heavy duty stairs . . .

Hi folks, I'm a noob to both forum and pool ownership.

We just purchased this pool https://www.kmart.com/bestway-22'-x-...W007593265001P but haven't set it up yet...
    my mother-in-law is VERY short and has parkinsons and I'm morbidly obese ( 372lbs )& on oxygen so we need some stairs other then the cruddy ones that come with the pool I'm sure.
    EVENTUALLY there will be a deck on one part but not anytime soon.

We're on disability so income is VERY limited.

What can we do for wide/strong stairs that won't cost a zillion?
    I'm sure on the inside we're going to need a wide footer with padding under it to protect the vinyl.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Hi & ada steps

I'm afraid I've got nothing for you. The only suggestion I can give you is to try to take the pool back, while you can.

First, the cost of steps that can support 400 lbs is going to be more than the pool. A LOT more. There are therapy slings and steps that would work, but they run $1,000's . . . AND they presume a rigid concrete deck for mounting. No standard consumer above-ground steps will support that sort of weight and instability, adequately. They'd break, or wobble, and you'd fall.

It would be possible to make some adequate steps out of treated wood, but there would be a number of complications, including pool-water-compatible fastener selection, and the need for padding to protect the liner AND a wide base to maintain stability. It would take a skilled carpenter to both design and make such a thing.

Second, the cost of operating the pool is probably going to be more than you realize. Even with the "BBB Method", which originated here, the cost of chemicals PLUS water PLUS electricity PLUS test kits will be over $300 for the season, and probably over $400. That's AFTER the purchase of the pool.

I truly am sorry. I am old and fat myself, and exercising gets more problematic as both age and weight go up. My wife was a water aerobics / therapy instructor for 10+ years, so I'm well aware how helpful a pool can be in your situation. Perhaps there is a YMCA pool in your area, with a therapy sling or ramp steps? It might be worth checking.

Good luck!

Ben / PoolDoc

The rest of the family would kill me if I took it back LOL
    But I hear what your saying... The Y is out as they are over $30/mo per person now and a 20mi drive.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I'm not sure I'm following your math.

You mentioned 2 people, so $60/month. Your Bestway will cost you more than that per month.

BTW, at least in the past, BestWay did not honor warranties. If you are going to keep it, get it up quick, so you can check it out BEFORE the 'return to Walmart' period passes!

No, there's 4 people total in the house.

As far as bestway is there a better company for that size? I saw intex, bestway, and I think coleman

Intex seems to honor its warranties. Eventually.

Bestway did not. I'm not sure about Coleman -- I just know that "Coleman" is a purchased brand name, and that the product has NOTHING to do with the US manufacturer of Coleman stoves.

But even with Intex, it's best to get the pool up QUICK and return it to the seller if there's a defect. Chinese manufacturers are capable of producing consistent quality, but seem to not do so unless there's a US QC engineer at the plant every day. Even Intex seems to have a defect rage as high as 10%.

By the way, the Intex Ultra material is (I think) a little more durable than the basic Intex pool.

Also, do NOT get a salt system with a steel frame pool; the salt WILL cause accelerated corrosion.

[ Upgraded membership; moved thread to "Intex-type" section <= you may need to log out and back in, before you can see everything. ]

PS. Note updates about salt and Ultra Intex in main response.

ty

+ Reply to Thread