+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simple 15' AG Pool Water Testing Results

Default Simple 15' AG Pool Water Testing Results

This year I switched to a Hayward Pump and Sand filter and have been trying to keep it simple following the no-name bleach technique.

So far water is crystal clear but pool hasn't been used much and temps have been low.

So for a little insurance I had the water tested at the local pool shop. The problem is my chemistry knowlege is low and their terminolgy is a little different than most posts here:

Volume: 5280 US Gal.
    Finish: Vinyl

Water Data:
    Temp: 78
    T.D.S. 300
    Stabilizer: 40

Sanitizer:
    Total 4.5
    pH: 7.6
    Acid: 0
    T.A: 120
    Adj. T.A: 120
    C.H. 100

The suggested results are 2.23Kgs of BioGard Balance Pak 300 and also .2 litres of BioGard Banish.

Am I to assume the C.H. is Calcium Hardness and is this resolved with Baking Soda?

Thank you for your help as hopefully this will be my last season a true "Pool Newbie". Within a year or 2 I'll be ready for a big pool, (and so will my kids).

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Simple 15' AG Pool Water Testing Results

Quote Originally Posted by LennPrice
    Volume: 5280 US Gal.
    Finish: Vinyl

Water Data:
    Temp: 78
    T.D.S. 300

Useless number pool stores like to make sound impressive.

Stabilizer: 40

Bang smack in the middle of the suggested range of 30-50.

Sanitizer:
    Total 4.5

This is chlorine. 4.5 is fine for a maintenance level, so long as Free Chlorine (FC) also equals 4.5 and Combined Chloraimines (CC) = 0. That assumes a CYA level of 60 or below.

pH: 7.6

Perfect!

Acid: 0

I have NO idea what this is. Is this acid demand (useless test) or Cyanuric Acid (Stabilizer--very important)? It can't be CYA--that you said is 40ppm.

T.A: 120
    Adj. T.A: 120

Perfect again.

C.H. 100

This is calcium and is irrelevant for a vinyl pool. Anything from 0-500 is OK. Above that causes cloudy water or scaling.

The suggested results are 2.23Kgs of BioGard Balance Pak 300 and also .2 litres of BioGard Banish.

Naturally! They HAVE to suggest SOMETHING! Bal Pak 300 increase calcium. You absolutely do NOT need it. Do not buy it or use it! Banish is an algaecide, but NOT Polyquat. Absolutely do NOT use this either! Both these products AT BEST are useless, and are more likely to cause you problems!

Am I to assume the C.H. is Calcium Hardness and is this resolved with Baking Soda?

Yes to the first, no to the second. You have NOTHING to resolve. 100ppm is FINE for a vinyl pool. Don't worry about it at all! Baking Soda raises total alkalinity.

Thank you for your help as hopefully this will be my last season a true "Pool Newbie". Within a year or 2 I'll be ready for a big pool, (and so will my kids).
    Sure! I did the same thing. I ignored the pool store advice and push to use chemicals that I didn't need or want after having read how things REALLY work in pools right here!
    Carl

Thank you for your reply as I couldn't have dreamed of a better response.

Last year I spent atleast $100 on chemicals after 2 water tests and still had cloudy water most of the time. I had the problem of also fighting the crappy pump and paper filter that came with the pool. I spent over $100 on filters also as they lastly barely a week before I had to clean them with another $20 bottle of special filter cleaner.

Last fall I found this fourm and started reading... I also found a used Hayward Pump and Sand Filter for $150 Canadian.

This year I retrofitted the new pump and filter and filled the pool with half a gallon of bleach. Since then I have been checking the CL and pH levels and adding bleach at night if the CL is down.

Results: Crystal clear pool with no headaches but really havn't been tested yet with high temps or heavy use.

duraleigh Guest

Lenn,

Good work! You've got the hang of it. Stay on the forum and keep reading but I think you're all set for a crystal clear swimming season.

+ Reply to Thread