+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AquaTools Pump/sand filter question

Default AquaTools Pump/sand filter question

We just installed a 24,000 gallon AG pool. Filled it with well water so there is no visibility. We've shocked it and had the filter running for the past two days. We backwashed today . When we attempt to use the vaccume to get the sediment off the bottom it goes through the pump-filter and jets back into the pool as dirty water. What gives? We have a 400lb sand filter with a 2.5hp 2 speed pump. Any advice on how to get the water cleared up and why the filter seems to be failing even when it's freshly backwashed and rinsed? Help!

Thanks,
    Dena
    Last edited by s0undone; 04-03-2006 at 07:12 PM.

duraleigh Guest

Hi, Dena,

Two thoughts come to mind.

A. It sounds like you don't have a test kit. Without it, everything you hear on the forum or anywhere else is just a guess...nothing more.

B. It sounds like your pump is WAAAY to big for that pool. If it's a full-rated 2.5hp, you may be blasting the dirt right through your filter and back to the pool. (My filter holds 900lbs of sand and I have a 1.5hp pump and, if I could do it again, would get a 1hp.)

If you have a kit, post up your numbers so we can help. If your pump is a 2.5, you'll probably need to run it on low permanantly or replace it. The issue with that may be that "low" is too low....you should be pumping about 40-50gpm for your size pool and filter.

Remember, all the above is just a guess

Dave S.

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Could it be metal??

Could the "dirt" be metal or silt? This stuff is much finer than sand and will go right through the filter and back into the pool. I've had a few people give me really good feeback on this item when they've used ponds or other questionable sources to get their water.

http://www.cleanerpools.net/

Iron out may also be a good idea - get a sample tested to find out where you're at and go from there.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

A sand filter will only filter to about 60 microns. If the dirt has a smaller particle size (and much of it does) it will pass right through. Just the nature of the beast with sand filters.

Default Thank you

Thanks for the great info and suggestions. I have the service guy coming to look at the pump and filter on Thursday and then on Saturday I have "Pool School" at the store i bought it from. I'll bring a water sample then. It sounds like a combo if the issues. I do believe the pump is too large and also that we could have the fine silt in the water. Has any one used the "Slime bag" as indicated in the above link?

Dena

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Another thing you can try is pouring 2 cups of DE slowly into the skimmer waiting 5 minutes with pump running, tehn vacuuming the pool, this will increase your filtering capabilities immensely, after backwashing, you will have to add DE again - you will end up backwashing a lot because it really filters the dirt out well.

+ Reply to Thread