+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chlorine Shock - Liquid or Powder?

pratzert is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst pratzert 0

Default Chlorine Shock - Liquid or Powder?

Hi All. I used to buy the 5 gallon Carboys of concentrated Liquid Chlorine from "Namco". But they are not in my state any longer and I can't find a reasonably priced 12.5% Liquid to use.

I found a 50 pound bucket of 73% Cal-Hypo for $105 which seems like a pretty good deal.

So.. should I keep trying to find Liquid shock, or just go ahead and try the powdered 73% Cal-Hypo?

I know there is a difference between SODIUM and CALCIUM Hypochlorite, but not positive they are interchangeable to shock a pool.

I know I could always use some good old Chlorox bleach, but don't want to always have to go out buying it in bulk, but if that is best, then so be it.

Thanks.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Chlorine Shock - Liquid or Powder?

50# of cal hypo for $105 is good . . . IF it is this season's production. However pool wholesaler's often discount old chemical stock to try to get it out of their warehouses before the fumes become a problem!

You CAN shock with either calcium or sodium hypochlorite, but you'll be adding calcium to your pool, which may or may not be a problem.

But. . . Walmart is selling, in many parts of the country, a fresh 10% pool bleach that is being bottled at over 10%:
    Pool-Essentials-Chlorinating-Liquid
    At $3/gallon it's about the same cost per pound of chlorine-gas equivalent as the cal hypo. ($3.20/lb vs $3/lb Cl2 equiv)

Thanks for the insight Ben.

I have no knowledge of the production date of the product, so based on that info and the shelf life problems, I'll stick to just buying fresh Liquid shock each season.

Or as an alternative, Costco sells the Clorox "concentrated" liquid bleach (8.25%) at a decent price.

Thanks again.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Just be very, very careful.

Clorox is doing a LOT of 'brand' and 'product' "differentiation" by adding 'goop' to their products. It's very hard to find plain Clorox bleach, and much of what you can find is 6%, not 8.25%.

And unfortunately, virtually everything Costco sells for pools -- except plain A & H bagged baking soda -- is a BAD idea. By contrast, the trichlor and dichlor Sams Club sells are plain, pure, and a great price. The Clorox bleach at Sams is, unfortunately, still Clorox bleach

Thanks Ben.

It will be the Walmart Pool Essentials Shock as first choice, and Sam's club TriChlor or DiChlor second.

Thanks Ben.

+ Reply to Thread