+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser & vinyl liner

Default Mr. Clean Magic Eraser & vinyl liner

I was just wondering if anyone has any tried using a Mr. Clean Magic eraser sponge for cleaning the waterline scum of a vinyl liner. Or should I use the usual vinyl cleaning solution and a regular sponge/cloth? Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Default Re: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser & vinyl liner

I haven't tried it, but what a great idea! Those things are non-abrasive AND they have a "generic" type at the dollar stores now that is the same thing with a box of 4 for $1! I can't see why they wouldn't work.....
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

the indredient the magic eraser is made out of is a formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer. Wonder what it does to pool water? The MSDS does say to keep it away from oxidizing materials (chlorine?)
    http://www.pgbrands.com/pages/cleane...gic_Eraser.pdf
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

OMG!!!! Well, I guess we won't be using it on OUR pool!!! Thanx Waterbear!!!
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

My wife brought some home and i couldn't find anything on the label
    to tell me what was in it. Didn't think about checking the MDS!
    Anyway i used it and it worked absolutely great! my liner is 8 years old and it
    hasn't looked this clean in years. I also cleaned my top portion of the steps and they are now bright white.

I used 4 pads to do a 16 X 30 pool, going over rough spots will use them up fast ie steps. Took me all of 45 minutes to do the whole pool.
    I understand the chemical concerns with chlorine but you are looking at very small amounts of this chemical added to the pool while using the pads.

I saw no ill effects to my pool anyway.

Randy

ScottS is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst ScottS 0

I have some of these to use when detailing cars and never thought about using them for the pool. They can actually damage some surfaces so use caution.

I do however recall something in regard to NOT using it with bleach if I am not mistaken. I will have to look at the box again when I get home.

*edit* found the information on the website
    --The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is a highly effective cleaning tool. Test first on an inconspicuous spot with light pressure to see if surface may scratch or dull. Not recommended for use on surfaces that are polished/glossy, or on brushed, satin, dark, or faux finishes. Do not use with chlorine bleach.--

Are they referring to the bleach being full strength or is the residual enough to cause concern?
    Last edited by ScottS; 06-19-2006 at 03:37 PM.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I just use a kitchen sponge and a baking soda/water paste.

Janet

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS
    I have some of these to use when detailing cars and never thought about using them for the pool. They can actually damage some surfaces so use caution.

I do however recall something in regard to NOT using it with bleach if I am not mistaken. I will have to look at the box again when I get home.

*edit* found the information on the website
    --The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is a highly effective cleaning tool. Test first on an inconspicuous spot with light pressure to see if surface may scratch or dull. Not recommended for use on surfaces that are polished/glossy, or on brushed, satin, dark, or faux finishes. Do not use with chlorine bleach.--

Are they referring to the bleach being full strength or is the residual enough to cause concern?
    Well, ususally when you clean with bleach it is diluted in a bucket of water, not used full strength.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Well, ususally when you clean with bleach it is diluted in a bucket of water, not used full strength.
    But, a normal amount to clean with is 50-100ppm. Is 3ppm bad?
    I used it in my pool to clean the steps, worked like a charm, couldn't find anything else to remove the stains off the plastic.

My tap water is 3ppm of chlorine and I haven't died from using it to clean my bathrooms. I probably wouldn't use it if you are running shock levels.
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

+ Reply to Thread