+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Divots in pool bottom under liner

Default Divots in pool bottom under liner

I had my pool installed 2 years ago in August.

End of last year I had one divot, 4 inches across, installer claimed a pin hole started it. Opened the pool this year to 4 more and within the last week 5 more. The new ones are small now and are all patched even though I seen no holes. These divots are perfectly round and I got no idea what's causing them and the installer claims no way its liner failure ur anything caused by him.

Any help greatly appreciated. Add

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Divots in pool

Liner

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. Divots like that under a liner could be caused by pinholes.

2. Odds are, if the pinholes ARE the installer's fault, he'll lie about it.

3. BUT that doesn't mean that they ARE his fault. It just means that the installer's denial doesn't tell you anything, one way or the other.

4. If the pinholes are caused by abrasion UNDERNEATH the liner, then the installer is probably at fault. If the pinhole is caused by something ABOVE the liner, then you are at fault, or at least, the fault is your responsibility. (You haven't had any bored ill-disciplined 12 year old boys in your pool, have you? I've seen an awful lot of sneaky vandalism at commercial pools!) If the pinhole seems to be IN the material of the liner . . . then the problem is probably LINER MAKER'S fault.

5. Figuring out which is which will require looking closely at a pinhole. Dye-testing will help you pinpoint a pinhole: http://pool9.net/dye-test

Thank u. He did deny any responsibility, I have a 10 yr old daughter, so I hope no boys been in there. I'm at a loss on what to do other then have my pool look like crap until I get a different company in to fix the divots and replace liner.

Honestly, I think you should use the time to try to discover what's happening.

I think the odds are your installer did something wrong, but that is by no means certain. And if the problem doesn't originate with him, it could reoccur when a new liner is installed!

For example, you might have a pool brush that had -- somehow -- a stray stainless steel bristle installed among the nylon. Mostly, it would work OK, but occasionally it might penetrate the liner.

I know that's improbable . . . but improbable things happen everywhere, every day!

Good luck!

Default Re: Divots in pool bottom under liner

That's what I'm trying to figure out now. I do t use sweeper, I use robot cleaner. It's all rubber and I rinse it off every use.

Default Re: Divots in pool bottom under liner

Aren't mysterious problems fun?

+ Reply to Thread