+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pentair DE Filter Issues

Default Pentair DE Filter Issues

I had DE blowing back into the pool through the returns while vacuuming. I removed the tank lid to find the air relief screen clogged and crushed as well as a 6" crack in the manifold.

Ordered a new manifold and cleaned the grids.

After installing the new manifold, I was unable to replace the tank lid because the air tube was too tall and would hit the underside top. That may be how the previous manifold was damaged. I did not install the original. It came with the house.

I cut down the air tube so that it would fit.

Is this acceptable?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pentair DE Filter Issues

Is this acceptable?

Does it matter? It's already done.

Air relief lines may, or may not, be significant depending on the pool, the piping, and the filter itself. If you start seeing fine bubbles in the pool . . . you may have some additional repairs to carry out. If not, you may be golden.

But . . . air relief lines on split shell filters can have an IMPORTANT safety function: split shells (DE, cartridge, OR sand) have severely injured people, when they were opened while still containing pressurized air. So, if you don't already have one, installing an air relief valve UNDER the pressure gauge

On many filters, you can 'make' one, with these bits from Amazon, and some Teflon tape:
    ASME Safety Valve, set 60 psi, 1/4" Male NPT

Anderson Metals Brass Close Nipple, 1/4" NPT

Anderson Metals Brass Barstock Tee, 1/4"

Does it matter? It matters to me.

What is done can be undone because I retained the replacement air tube and cut down the old one.

My concern is why does an OEM part not fit in the tank? I notice aftermarket manifolds have either an angled tube, flex hose, or no tube at all because they have built in air relief systems that are flush with the manifold.

This is my first experience with a DE filter. Also, the grid assembly does not rest in the bottom of the tank. It is suspended by the outlet tube. Seems the tube is too long, or the grids are to short, or the top section of the tank is too small.

It's possible the top was replaced with the wrong size. There is no model number on the top but the bottom indicates Pentair FNS 60 which is the largest version.

I just needed advice from those with experience with DE filters as this has not been a "plug and play" project for me.

Thanks.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Unfortunately, reliable answers to the sort of question you're asking are hard to come by. Swimming pool DE filters are NOT like Ford F150 trucks, with literally millions of interested owners.

And, while being a DIY mechanic is a 'thing', being a DIY pool repair guy is not. Both with F150s and with DE filter any answers you get come from non-professionals (I'm a rare exception).

True pool guys are NOT often present on forums for several reasons:
    • If they are working, they are not here (or on other forums).
    • And, if they are NOT working, pools are often the LAST thing they want to think about.
    • Unfortunately, if they ARE here, they are usually trying to sell something.

There are other issues, as well.

Taken as a whole, pool OWNERS are much better educated than pool SERVICEMEN. Some pool guys who might post helpfully, won't do so because their poor spelling and grammar embarrasses them.

The bottom line: unless you happen to encounter one of the rare online pool pros, answers you get about equipment will be 'dicey' at best. And even pros may not know YOUR equipment: I've worked with multiple types of large commercial DE filters, but only a single model consumer DE filter.

So . . . if you are really concerned about this, your best bet is to see if Pentair support will talk to you directly: https://pentairpool.com/en/contact-us

Good Luck!

+ Reply to Thread