+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help me buy my new pump

Cool Help me buy my new pump

Currently have a 1.5 Hayward but this season it just started getting loud and its overkill so pricey ro run.
    I have a 15x30 oval AG pool. I have a hayward canister filter attached.

What im looking for is ...
    Efficiency
    Quiet
    Reliable
    Best bang for the buck

I had been looking at Pentair 342001 as i heard its great but its expensive and my rip off state doesnt give any rebates for it either. I then read some complaints about it dieing after 4 months and it only comes with a 60 day warranty and customer service isnt great either. I cant say any of this is true but just what ive read. Im really confused as what to get as my local pool store tells me a 2 speed or variable speed pump does nothing for a AG pool as far as electricity savings.

I'm looking for some solid advice guys. Thanks!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Help me buy my new pump

You need to match the pump to the filter. The bane of pools, and especially above-ground pools, is pumps that are too BIG and filters that are too SMALL.

You've got a pool that's only around 11,000 gallons. That means you really only need about 22 GPM. That pump can be turned down to that . . . but only barely. More than that, and you'll probably damage your filter cartridge!

A Hayward SP2607X102S has almost the same flow on low, and is much less likely to blow out your filter on high!

A SP15922S PowerFlo might be even better, but I'm not sure because it's harder to find full specs on AG pool pumps.

If you DO go with the Pentair, make SURE your filter can handle the flow without damage.

As far as saving money . . . nope. The BIGGEST saving comes from having the right pump, running the right amount of time, and not from having a pump that is extremely efficient . . . at being way too big!

Does pentair have a 1 hp variable speed model?

I want a reliable pump and something that if i get a pool heater shortly will be able to handle. I was told a VS pump would be best for a heater. I would be honestly happy to buy either of the $300 haywards mentioned. I thought the pentair was so adjustable that it could run even lower rpms then the low on a 2 speed.

Correct me where I'm wrong and thanks for any help

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

OK.

This is getting detailed enough, that answering will tricky without more information.

What kind of pool do you have? How old is the liner? What type and size piping (OD) do you have?

What kind of filter do you have? (exact model)

Do you want to HEAT your pool, or just WARM it? In which months?
    (Actually HEATING a pool in Connecticut is EXPENSIVE!)

And, pictures. Post pictures! Instructions here: pool9.net/postpix/

PS. Pool store enthusiasm for VS pumps has more to do with $ales performance, than with pool performance! VS pumps may be more efficient than 2 speed pumps, but often are not as actually installed. But VS pumps are NEVER more reliable than equivalent grade 2-speeds!

What kind of pool do you have?
    15x30 oval AG pool. moved in 2 years ago and not sure of brand but it looks to be in decent shape

How old is the liner?
    last owner claimed to have replaced it in 2013 but who knows. its defiantely not the new darker blue pool liners ive seen recently.

What type and size piping (OD) do you have?
    looks to be 2" flex pipe (OD)

What kind of filter do you have? (exact model)
    looks just like Hayward CC15093S XStream Full-Flo Element Filter System

Do you want to HEAT your pool, or just WARM it?
    In which months?
    (Actually HEATING a pool in Connecticut is EXPENSIVE!)
    I would love to heat but since i dont know all the numbers behind that and if its worth just heating for certain periods or just weekends.... i really dont know the cost differnces and what can and cannot be done as far as making financial sense.

currently at work but i can post some pics later. ill post a filter pic in a few off my phone

[ Admin note: this is what the URL between the [ IMG ] tag *should* have looked like, but without the spaces: https: / / i.imgur.com/OYPzw6q.jpg I cleaned it up. ]
    Last edited by Saltysteve; 06-08-2018 at 12:51 PM.

And of the IG pumps we've discussed would be likely to burst those pipes on high.

Are you sure they are 1.5" and not 1.25"?

Need a side view of the filter with label.

Honestly not 100% of hose size... just going off of what i remeber. I can post the specs when i get home. If i did a new pump i would do all new piping for it.

Incorrect: (what you had)
    Code:
    [http://Pool filter2 https://imgur.com/gallery/3BwRUmF
    Correct
    Code:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/3BwRUmF
    Without the [ CODE ] tagging:

https://imgur.com/gallery/3BwRUmF

AND . . . a direct link to the image itself:
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-08-2018 at 04:42 PM.

It's hard to measure pipe size accurately with a ruler. If you've got access to a printer, an Exacto or pair of scissors, and some heavy paper, you can make a gauge from this PDF: http://pool9.net/p-size/

Remember, with corrugated pipe, the OD is BETWEEN the corrugations!

I have a 14,000 gallon pool and use a Pentair PLD 50 DE filter w 1HP pump. I run it from 2-4 hours per day, depending on the season. That's all it takes to get my chlorine in (Stenner liquid chlorine pump) and get it filtered.

+ Reply to Thread