+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking to buy a new above-ground pool in Houston

Default Looking to buy a new above-ground pool in Houston

I have been looking into purchasing an above ground pool for a few months now. I am still doing research and trying to find the best pool I can buy for my budget, and just trying to get more information from forums like this one.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Hello from Houston

You're welcome to read past posts. Honestly most questions have been asked and -- if possible -- answered already. You can use my 'Super Search' page to look through past posts, not only here, but on TFP and PSF: http://pool9.net/ssearch/

BUT . . . a useful answer specific to YOU will require that you provide more info about your situation and your goals than you have done so far: vague questions produce vague answer, or even worse, SPECIFIC, but WRONG answers!

Here are a couple of tips:

1. If you are planning to purchase pool and have it installed . . . you are already late in the season. Pool stores will promise anything, but the better installers are already backed up a month or more!

2. Except for manufacturer matched sets, above ground pool pumps are almost ALWAYS too BIG, and the AG filters are too SMALL. It's much better to have a SMALL pump and a BIG filter, than what's usually sold.

3. If you are going with an self-installed pool, do your yard prep FIRST. The best warranty is from Amazon or Walmart, but you'll have 30 days or less. If your pool sits around waiting for yard prep, your retailer return period may be GONE. And virtually ALL Chinese made pools (Intex, Coleman, Summer Waves, etc) have a 10% or higher defect rate.

4. Intex pools usually are pretty good. They will EVENTUALLY honor their warranty, too. The others -- including Coleman, which is no longer a US brand -- are not so good.

5. The 'best' installer pools depend on your locality. A 'great' pool that no one in your area carries is a BAD idea. Buy a pool local installers have parts for!

Good luck!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Hello from Houston

[ Upgraded membership; moved thread to "AG pool section <= you may need to log out and back in, before you can see everything.

+ Reply to Thread