+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 2HP AG Eco-Kleer pump might be a mistake?

Default New 2HP AG Eco-Kleer pump might be a mistake?

Went to the local pool store to buy a new pump/sand filter for 18x32 in ground pool with average depth of 5.5 feet. I did let the salesman know that it was 8ft deep at one end and 3 at the other. They sold me a 26inch sand filter with 2hp pump branded Eco Kleer. We came home (haven’t even picked it up from warehouse) and everything online says that the pump is for above ground pools only. I’m guessing it is a pruning issue? What does the expert say? Will this work for my above ground pool or am I back to square one? Thanks in advance!!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New pump might be a mistake

22,000 gallon pool => PF = 5.5; target filter flow rate = 45 gpm;

Minimum sand filter size: 45 gpm / 15 gpm/sft = 3 sft filter or a 24" filter.

A 26" sand filter with at least 12" of sand depth ABOVE the laterals is fine; a 2 HP pump is not. Oversized pumps FORCE DIRT through the filter and WASTE electricity

Unless you have a bunch of flow-restricting gear, like an infloor cleaning system, this pump would work well, 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump and last forever if you keep it off the ground and out of the sun.

Even better would be the 1HP / 2SPD model, run on low 24/7, except during cleanup and filter backwashing! You can access it through the same link.

If you want to go "high efficiency", then this is the one to look at: Hayward SP32102EE TriStar 1hp I can't say if it would actually save on electricity; the TriStar 1 HP is a much higher power motor than the Super Pump 1 HP and almost certainly uses more electricity on high speed. It is DEFINITELY too large for a 24" filter under most circumstances, unless run on low speed.

Regardless, where you buy, be READY to install IMMEDIATELY, so you can return to seller if there are defects. Manufacturer warranties are a pain.

+ Reply to Thread