+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Couple more sand filter questions.

Default Couple more sand filter questions.

Picked up a used filter/pump setup. The pump appears to be the same (1hp) power as my old pump. The sand/filter container is significantly smaller. If I am doing my research, images only, label worn off. The new filter requires 1oolbs sand compared to what I think was 250lbs. The flange on the old sand tank is larger and will not accommodate the new filter head. The newer setup appears to be this. Pentair PNSD0035DE2160 Sand Dollar Aboveground Filter System with Blow-Molded Tank, 1 HP

Per my last post, I am sticking with sand. There appears to be several choices of sand types and size. Is there a good, better best choice in that regard??

can slightly more sand in a given filter effect performance? or any other things I should consider?
    24 round 12.9K* gal AG vinyl pool; liquide chlorine; sand filter; 2 1 speed pump; 8 hrs; ; the recommended Taylor kit; utility water; summer: solar; winter: mesh; android phone; PF:9.3

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Couple more sand filter questions.

100# sand filter is too small for a 24' round pool.

And a TRUE 1 HP pump is much too large for a 100# filter. But, manufacturers play all sorts of funky games with AG pump HP ratings. To tell anything, you have to actually find (lots of luck) and look at pump flow/pressure charts.

A 19" filter would be good. A 16" filter is very marginal. Both need a sand depth of AT LEAST 8" and 12" is better.

This is more what you are want: Hayward S180T ProSeries Sand Filter

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    That is actually what I am replacing. The filter valve needs a new gasket, the extents will need looked at (lots of sand in pool) The positional sticker on the valve is faded, falling apart mostly illegable.

I have replaced the gaskets before, not really a hard job. I suspect this will be more than just a gasket replace as the adjustment lever does not return to seat. A spring is my guess.

How long can the pool go without any filter (while I work on the old one) before I lose ballance?
    24 round 12.9K* gal AG vinyl pool; liquide chlorine; sand filter; 2 1 speed pump; 8 hrs; ; the recommended Taylor kit; utility water; summer: solar; winter: mesh; android phone; PF:9.3

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

https://hayward-pool-assets.com/asse...f?fromCDN=true

"laterals", not "extents"

If you are going to rebuild the filter, buy a whole new valve. Outside of a factory setting, hardly anyone can get the gaskets to last more than a year or two. If your shell is OK, it's possible to rebuild the interior. You'll just have to cost it out to see if it's practical.

+ Reply to Thread