+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time pool owner needing help balancing my levels

Default First time pool owner needing help balancing my levels

I have a 20,000 in ground pool. I purchased a Basic Pool Care DPD Test Kit at my local Leslie’s pool store.

The water test reads:
    P.H. 6.8
    F.C. .5
    BR 1

What should I adjust first? After reading a few threads I think I should use Borax first to bring up my PH to 7.4 - 7.6. Am I correct? Please help.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: First time pool owner needing help balancing my levels

I wrote a reply, and then apparently deleted it by accident. I don't know if you saw it by email. Anyhow, I'm trying again.

IG pool => 20,000 gallons = PF 6

Obviously, you need to get your pH up. With most kits or strips, a test result of 6.8 does NOT mean your pH is 6.8; it means it is 6.8 OR LOWER. It could be 4.8!

Your NORMAL borax dose is below. But you need to add borax FOUR at time or soda ash TWO boxes at a time.

Soda ash (regular pH DOWN) is cheaper, but raises carbonate alkalinity which you may not need. Borax has no undesired side effects, it's preferable if you are not on a tight budget.

Regardless, add the chemicals SLOWLY to a skimmer while the pump is ON and water is FLOWING through the skimmer.

Leave the PUMP ON. Retest pH after 6 to 8 hours. Continue to use the non-standard doses till your pH is ABOVE 6.8.

4. Report exact chemical names (read the bags) of the "shock" and other chemicals added.
    5. Report stabilizer (CYA) levels as soon as possible. (NOTE: HTH kit only tests CYA 3x! Read instructions carefully!)
    6. For now, STOP adding ANY chemicals except bleach and borax OR muriatic acid, as needed.

Testing

Reporting:

Once you have your pH up a bit, and have the kits, report the results PLUS water source, equipment (heater?), and presence/absence of aeration (waterfall, spillover, etc.)

Chemicals (the RIGHT Stuff!)

Chlorine:
    Other:

Basic DOSES for YOUR pool:

1 gallon of 6% bleach ADDS 3 ppm of chlorine
    1 gallon of 10% bleach ADDS 5 ppm of chlorine
    1 lb bag of dichlor ADDS 3 ppm of chlorine and 3 ppm of stabilizer

pH DOWN dose (pH above 7.8): 1/2 gal of muriatic acid
    pH DOWN dose (pH at or below7.8): 1/4 gal of muriatic acid
    READ handling muriatic acid safely page linked in my blue signature box!

pH UP dose (pH at or above 7.2): 1 box of borax
    pH UP dose (pH below 7.2): 2 box of borax

When adjusting pH, add a dose WHILE the pump is running. Wait a day, retest and dose again if needed.

IMPORTANT Warning:

Until you are an expert at deciphering chemical names, and can distinguish sodium hydrogen carbonate from sodium dichloroisocyanurate, and so on
    AVOID THESE POOL CHEMICALS:
    • Clorox brand POOL chemicals
    • Arm & Hammer brand POOL chemicals (A & H baking soda + washing soda are fine!)
    • HTH brand POOL chemicals (Dry-Tec, made by HTH/Arch, are often fine)
    • Pool Time brand POOL chemicals
    • United Chemical brand POOL chemicals
    • All "Multi-function" chemicals
    • All 3-in-1, 4-in-1, 5-in-1 chemicals
    • Flavored bleach: scents, thickened, colored, 'gentler', etc: PLAIN bleach ONLY!!!!
    • Stain removers (most add phosphates = algae fertilizer)
    • Non-fuming muriatic acid (unless you KNOW it is only diluted with water!)
    • Most algaecides (polyquat is OK. Copper is OK if you don't mind green hair)
    • Almost all 'boosters'.
    • Ammonia based products: Yellow Out, Green to Clean, etc.
    • Bromide based products: Yellow Treat, etc.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

[ Upgraded membership; moved thread into Chemistry Problem section <= you may need to log out and back in, before you can see everything. ]

And, another oops! I'm editing a semi-standard answer into your main reply, but posted it before I finished. Here's the bit you need NOW:

Obviously, you need to get your pH up. With most kits or strips, a test result of 6.8 does NOT mean your pH is 6.8; it means it is 6.8 OR LOWER. It could be 4.8!

Your NORMAL borax dose is below. But you need to add borax FOUR at time or soda ash TWO boxes at a time.

Soda ash (regular pH UP) (typo corrected!) is cheaper, but raises carbonate alkalinity which you may not need. Borax has no undesired side effects, it's preferable if you are not on a tight budget.

Regardless, add the chemicals SLOWLY to a skimmer while the pump is ON and water is FLOWING through the skimmer.

Leave the PUMP ON. Retest pH after 6 to 8 hours. Continue to use the non-standard doses till your pH is ABOVE 6.8.

Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-03-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Soda ash raises pH, right? So this is a typo?

“....Soda ash (regular pH DOWN) ....”
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Thank you!!

+ Reply to Thread