+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Too much DE in pool

Default Re: Too much DE in pool

Yeah, that's what I can't figure out. How could the piping be malfunctioning? It was laid underground almost 60 years ago; I've lived here for 25 years. How could it possibly be bypassing the filter (which is what it seems to be doing)?
    20,000 gallon plaster (concrete) pool
    DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

My wife used to say we needed a son named "Frank" so I would not be (frank).

But I'm gonna be, anyhow: the odds are VERY high that you are simply overlooking the problem inside the filter.

If you can't find it yourself, get another filter. In theory, you could hire someone, but most of the pool guys I've seen couldn't find their way around a DE filter with 2 flashlights, a manual, and a factory rep helping!

Yeah, I get it. And I agree. Today I've attempted to recruit my neighbor to help, because the filter has to be semi-inverted with all the piping glued in place.

Here we go again.

IF I have to get another filter, what do you recommend? And hopefully as inexpensive as possible.
    DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Probably a Hayward S244T ProSeries Sand Filter -- InTheSwim seems to be selling them for $340, which is an excellent price.

If your pump is not too big for it, it will typically last many years, though you may have to replace the top of the multiport every 4 - 8 years.

And . . . your water will not be quite as clear as with a DE filter.

Ouch! You're in Cali. You may have to go with another DE or cartridge filter, because of water restrictions. Dunno, then. Avoid Sta-Rite! If you can possibly afford to buy US, do so. Chinese filters are cheapo -- in price AND design. If you have to go that route, start saving NOW for a new filter in 4 years.

Jandy cartridge filters often do well. Both Hayward and Pentair make some decent DE filters, but I don't have experience with them, so I can't make a particular recommendation.

Poking around the site, didn't I see this recommended? A Sta-Rite S7M400 System:3 Modular Media SM Series Pool Filter, 400 Square Feet, 50-115 GPM?

Not that I can afford it this weekend - but is this what you're saying to avoid?

PS - is your Amazon page down?
    DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

That filter is one I've worked with, and it functions well, but is a pain in the a## to clean.

Basically, everything in the StaRite spherical profile is a product to avoid, for a variety of reasons.

Got it. Thank you. I'll report back.
    DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

Well, it's done. The pool is fine. I don't know what happened. I mean, I know what we did, but don't know why it didn't work before.

With my neighbor, who also has a pool, as witness, I opened the filter, and removed the grids. We looked over everything. He saw and verified that the manifold was properly seated. Then I cleaned the grids and had him inspect them, and he verified that they were fine. I reseated the manifold, reassembled the filter, and off we went.

The only difference was that he was meticulous about bleeding all of the air out of the system, which I wasn't, but have never been, yet the filter didn't stop filtering until 2 months ago. And even so, there's a big bubbling every time the filter starts up, as air gets into the water for a little bit.

He also insisted that I put the full amount of DE in, seven pounds worth. I usually go a bit less, and it's never been an issue. Whatever did it, it worked. I'll be damned if I know what happened. Guess he has good pool mojo, though he's often struggling with it, too.

His theory is the manifold rising up and sucking back down, but I don't think so.

I also think I see a tiny bit of DE in the pool at night, but can't be sure.
    DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

Every single person I know who has done service work -- pools, computers, cars, small engines, etc -- has had the experience of taking something broken apart, finding nothing wrong, putting it back together, and having it work fine.

Every single one.

(And yes, it's happened to me, many times.)

Right, same in electronics. I use a lot of them, have no idea how to fix them, but know how to disassemble and reassemble them. It usually works.

It would have been nice to learn something, but oh well.

Many thanks to you both for participating in my thought process.
    DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

+ Reply to Thread