+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Upgrade recommendations for replacing 14" Intex sand filter combo?

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Default Re: Upgrade recommendations for replacing 14" Intex sand filter combo?

I am able to plug the pool and disconnect the hose. As for the meter, if there is power factor correction feature, I'm not aware of how to access or activate it.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Just looked; the meter info on Amazon claims it ONLY reads true power, not VA.

However, if it is reading true power, the reading for watts should be lower than the V x A number.

I had time to check the Intex flow rate this morning. It pumped 55 lbs of water in 15 seconds. That's about 220 lbs/minute at 8.34 lbs/gal. I figure that comes to roughly 26 GPM.

This is what the meter reading was during the test.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

OK. Unless that pump has a capacitor, the calculator is showing VA, and not true power. PF for fractional inductives seems to range from 0.75 to 0.9.

And, your 2150 GPH rated pump pumped an actual 1560 GPH, or about 75% of it's rating.

This is one reason it is so hard to optimize residential pump + filter sets: the engineering data is missing or wrong!

Still . . . this is all very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    your 2150 GPH rated pump pumped an actual 1560 GPH, or about 75% of it's rating.
    True. I kinda wonder what it would flow when freshly backwashed. I also believe it cannot be very efficient, because when the filter basket gets cleaned, and is full of air, the pump won't prime. The air bleed valve at the top of the filter basket has to be opened to release the trapped air.

As for the meter, 116V x 4.2A = 487.2W. The meter is reading 482.7. Is that difference due to significant figure rounding, or true power?

AND, the plumbing got done for the new Pentair/Hayward system. I have to get more wire, we decided to move the pump/filter to a different location, farther from the power source, and I need wiring that is about 4' longer.

If the difference between VxA and W were true power you ought to be seeing a gap of at least 40 watts. That would STILL be a PF > 0.9, which would be exceptionally high, without capacitor correction.

As far as additional wiring, if you use twisted AND soldered connections, you can simply splice a piece on. I would not used merely twisted and nutted connections for such a splice. (I assume you know to use rosin flux and not acid flux?).

I have discovered it is less expensive to buy an extension cord of appropriate gauge from Amazon and cut the ends off, than to buy cut-to-lenght wire so, I just have an extra heavy duty extension cord now. And, yes, about the flux.

+ Reply to Thread