+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade recommendations for replacing 14" Intex sand filter combo?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Upgrade recommendations for replacing 14" Intex sand filter combo?

I think I totally don't trust the engineering and efficiency data supplied . . . well, by anybody.

Years ago, I had made the acquaintance of the then PacFab's chief engineer, and through him, several junior working engineers. Occasionally, I could call and get the 'back-story'. Even then, before it became Pentair, it was a marketing driven company. And, the gap between what was supposed to be true, and what was true was significant.

Hayward has always been opaque, at least to me. But the mere fact that the Hayward chlorinator -- this beast:

is still sold, is evidence that Hayward can't be trusted.

That chlorinator has not worked right since it was first designed and sold, over 35 years ago. The main port is a HORRIBLE flow restriction, and is so small it literally will not pass a US quarter. And the feed rate control NEVER works right, even out of the box. They know that. But they still sell it.

So yes, I'd love to have other data.

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

So I've been looking at PVC thread sealant. I have lots of experience with threaded metal pipe & fittings, and glued PVC, but not so much threaded PVC. I was thinking I'd just use teflon tape but Lasco says don't. There seems to a bunch of conflicting advice on the ww-interweb. Can you believe that? About the only thing that most agree on is don't use petroleum based products because they can attack PVC. Any experienced suggestions on what to use? Teflon or this - https://www.amazon.com/Plasto-Joint-...ct_top?ie=UTF8 - ?

Also, since I'm kinda worried about overloading a plug-in Kill-a-Watt meter, I'm thinking this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...AKNUUM9N&psc=1 - is the ticket. 1% claimed accuracy.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The meter looks OK. I'd want to compare it with something else once it was in operation.

I've never used Plasti-Joint. It may be great. However it looks a bit small to be using on 1.5" and 2" threads. Here's what I used the last few years:
    Rectorseal 31551 1/2 Pint Brush Top Tru-Blu Pipe Thread Sealant

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    The meter looks OK. I'd want to compare it with something else once it was in operation.
    Even if the reading is not accurately calibrated, it should give an accurate comparison between the 2 pumps - I'd think.

And thanks for the tip on the Rectorseal.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

The last of my goodies should come in Saturday or Monday. I suppose I'll start a new thread documenting the conversion from Intex proprietary to standard pipe. I think I'm going to focus on the generic bits - like the timer, GFCI, and pool wall fittings.

I got the ammeter assembled today. My Intex SF70110 pump/filter pulls 4.2 A @117 V. with the filter pressure about "middle ways" between "just backwashed" and "needs backwashed now". The manual and motor tag say 4.8 A. The pump pulls 3.8 A deadheaded.

Just for grins, I checked a cheapo heat gun that's rated at 1500 W 120 V. That converts to 12.5 A. It actually pulled 10.8 A 117 V. or about 1250 W. Heating devices are routinely rated at higher than actual wattage to make them "seem" more powerful. So - - - I feel like the meter is reasonably accurate.

Excellent experimentation. 4.2 x 117 => maybe 400 watts? Does your meter show true power, or just volt-amperes? Does it show power factor?

Anyhow, 0.4kw x 24 x 30 = 288 kwh/month. At $0.14/kwh that's $40/month. I think that's more than most folks realize.

By the way, you may be able to measure the actual flow gpm to within 10% with a 5 gallon bucket, a heavy duty garbage bag, a household scale, and the timer on your phone. It depends on whether you can reliably seal the throat of the bag, so that the pool inflow is capture by the bag. You'd also need a decent twist tie (or a nylon wire strap) to seal the bag . . . and the bucket so you can lift the bag without busting it.

This is a pic of the meter plugged into a space heater rated at 1500 watts. The limited instructions that came with it say "Voltage, current, active power, energy".

And I just happen to be storing some plastic 15 gallon beer fermenters for an associate. Do I really need a trash bag? I presume I run the pump into a container for 15 seconds, then weigh the water, multiply by 4 and divide by 8.34 to get the GPM?

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Do I really need a trash bag? I presume I run the pump into a container for 15 seconds, then weigh the water, multiply by 4 and divide by 8.34 to get the GPM?
    I was assuming you had a submerged inlet. If you are able to plug the pool and disconnect the pump effluent, so you can discharge directly into your tank, you can get the measurement as you say.

Regarding the meter, with resistance elements VxA = true watts, but with inductive elements (motor windings), true watts are usually less than V x A due to power factor.

+ Reply to Thread