+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade recommendations for replacing 14" Intex sand filter combo?

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Default Re: Upgrade recommendations for replacing 14" Intex sand filter combo?

I got a response from Hayward today. It was really helpful.

What I sent:
    "Sent: 06/07/2018
    I am installing a new filter system in my pool. I'm considering the
    > SP15922S PowerFlo Matrix 1 HP Dual-Speed pump. Where can I find
    > performance curves for high and low speeds?"

Their response:
    "Thank you for your email inquiry. The only
    information we have for this pump, is what we offer on our website.
    WWW.HAYWARD-POOL.COM. I will speak with my leads, and see if we have
    any performance curves for this model pump."

I guess they either don't know what their products will do, or they have some reason to keep me from knowing.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

They advertise performance on 'premium pumps'. They advertise price on AG pumps. It wouldn't do have data showing that 'premium' pumps didn't have any real performance advantage. I suspect they DO have some advantage, but not that much.

Regardless, you can be SURE the MARKETING department controls what the ENGINEERING department releases!

That said, I'm told many AG pumps are a pain to clean and service, but I'm not sure if that's because of the pump, or the location and piping.

I know you can't say for sure without seeing and measuring and,,, but in your opinion, Will the Hayward 1 hp 2 speed pump, paired with the 21" Hayward filter be a reasonably good system? Would the 1/2 hp pump be any better? Again, I understand you can NOT say for sure - one way or the other. But,?,?,?

It seems like it can't be too bad since Hayward sells a system that has the 1 hp pump paired with an 18" filter.

And by the way, a Hayward 1 hp 2 speed Super Pump is about twice the cost of the PowerFlo Matrix 1 hp 2 speed.

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP260...ds=SP2607X102S

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AGOKDG42D8KUC
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

Just pulled the trigger on this pump:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc.
    $258.55
    Condition: Used - Like New

Yup, it's a gamble, but it's less than half price and less than the Hayward 1hp 2 speed new, and it's from Amazon, so I "should" be able to return it if I need to.

I also ordered a Hayward S210T filter along with various fittings, valves and accessories.

I'm getting ready to have the mostest sparklingest Intex pool in the DFW area, thanks to PoolSolutions, PoolForum, and the PoolDoc.

What is the best way to connect the hard piping to the pool wall fittings? Since the walls flex and move a considerable distance, there needs to be a flexible connection. I think 1-1/2" reinforced vinyl tubing is what I need, but I'm not sure.

Would this work? https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-1-1...ose/1000365073
    Last edited by Pappy; 06-20-2018 at 04:06 PM.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I'd look at this:
    1.5" ID 70 psi Braided Flexible Chemical Resistant PVC Tubing
    instead.

Flex PVC, like you found at Lowes varies a lot in quality, and I have never discovered how to tell the good stuff (rare) from the junk (common). The typical stuff, which I've purchased from SCP wholesale supply, gets pinholes after a year or so.

The reinforced flex is made for insert fittings and clamps, but can be glued if you are very careful. It tends to not maintain a perfectly round cross-section, so you have to be careful when you insert it.

Maybe you and Brokk can work out a 'works-for-everybody' method of plumbing to Intex-type pools?

Is exactly what I had in mind. I was unaware that it could successfully be glued. That's why I asked about the other stuff. Is it glued to a pvc hose barb or into a standard pvc slip fitting?

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    'works-for-everybody' method of plumbing to Intex-type pools?
    ,,, probably doesn't exist, but 'works-for handyfolk' is completely do-able. I full well intend to take lots of pictures and explain my processes and the thoughts behind them.

If you put it on a barbed fitting, use clamps.

If you glue it, just make sure that it fits in snugly and that you hold it in place for 90 seconds or more. Otherwise it will 'ooch' out. Also, a small bit before depending on it. I've glued it, but formulations vary and you want to make sure the tube YOU get will glue OK.

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

I have an "intex type" pool, a Splash super pool.

I have used the flex PVC that Pappy posted and it has worked well for 3 years without leaks...... yet. I'll watch for pinholes. I used barbed fittings with clamps and quick connect fittings everywhere I can think of (once you push the barbed fitting into the flex PVC, you'll never get it out again), they make it easy to take things apart for servicing or storage. I also use ball valves that come apart for servicing and use them as quick connections too.

Ever fitting and line I have used has come from Lowe's, except for the wall fittings. No leaks, no issues.

The fact that it was OK in the past, is no guarantee it will be now.

Lowes does not stick to a reliable or single source of product. And even brands you might think are OK, are not. I have a "Watts brand" 3/4" x 4" brass threaded nipple,t hat should have lasted 100 years. But Watts has gone from being a US company to a little US stuff and a lot of Chinese stuff. The nipple has a pinhole in the body, between the threads. Naturally, I had put it underground when I replaced my fathers pressure reducing valve . . . so it was a huge mess to repair.

Some Chinese made product is OK, but most of it suffers high rates of defects. That means 90% is OK, but if you are the 1 in 10 that gets the P. o. S., watch out!

+ Reply to Thread