+ Reply to Thread

Thread: intex pool plumbing

Default intex pool plumbing

ok, have the pool running nicely, no major issues. Of course, there are the built in issues, i.e., undersized pump, horrible ladder, etc, but, it swims nice, and is easy to maintain using advice from here.
    My quiestion, I am looking to hard plumb the filter, figuring I would get a little better flow rate than the hoses that came with the unit.
    after buying all of the parts (fairly cheap, except for the pool wall fittings I had to get from the "pool store" )
    what pump and filter set up could I use here without over doing it...
    and where can I find such a combo ? I don't really want to go to the "pool store" as they are in argument with me about my "soft" water fill, [" you NEED calcium!!!!" they say]
    anyway, it is 18 feet, 48 in deep, about 6800 gal.
    any recommendations ?
    also, the ladder that came with it is absolutely flimsy, where to get a decent one while staying within a reasonable budget ?

Thanks in advance!!
    in the residential and commercial water treatment industry, if you don't have some type of system, get one !!!
    '' common sense aint so common"
    "to be, or not to be... without beer, that is the question"

Our "easy set" (yeah right, 6 days later) and still working
    but, it is a start to a wonderfull "pool owner lifestyle"
    upgrade is already planned... so don't laugh at it, its our first, and not the last!
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dj71da...?.dir=/562fre2

haze_1956 is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst haze_1956 0

Default Re: intex pool plumbing

There are usually auctions on ebay for sand filters with pumps for under $200. Even see some starting for $9.99, I am guessing these are promotional ones, to attact customers to the EBay Pool Store. If you aren't in a rush, you might be able to grab one of those.

I will definately take a look there. Anyone reading this thread that has purchased thru ebay, let me know what luck you have had.

I went ahead and hard plumbed (1 1/2 inch pipe) the filter in anyway, and I did end up with a much better flow rate. (now the vacume actually works!!)

one question remains, what size set up should I look for ? 16", 20", 3/4hp, or 1 hp ? don't want to over do it...
    any help appreciated!
    in the residential and commercial water treatment industry, if you don't have some type of system, get one !!!

upgrade is already planned... so don't laugh at it, its our first, and not the last!

[QUOTE=darenjones]

I went ahead and hard plumbed (1 1/2 inch pipe) the filter in anyway, and I did end up with a much better flow rate. (now the vacume actually works!!)

QUOTE]

We have the same pool and I'm facing the same problems. How did you hard plumb the filter? You obtained the Intex fittings from the pool store and PVC'ed that to the 1 1/2 pipe? Then connected that to the pool wall fittings and to the pump/filter? I'm pretty sure my local pool stores don't have the Intex fittings though, as I had to cut the Intex hoses and attach them to normal hoses last year to get a few solar panels to work. I found the Intex pump wasn't strong enough to push the water, so by hard plumbing it will allow me to find and use a better pump.

As far as ebay goes, I use it all the time and have great luck. As with any ebay seller, check their feedback before bidding and pay securely (Paypal, credit card, etc.) Thanks for the help

sorry for the long delay in replying

I plumbed everything from the pool in 1 1/2 in the hopes of next year upgrading to a real pump and filter set up. For now this is working (especially since I was given a 3000 gph pump (B filter))
    anyway, you will need to get a couple of things from the "pool supply" unfortunately, this stuff isn't readily available at the home stores, or plumbing houses. You will need to get pool wall fittings.(1 1/2), I lost the Hayward number I used... sorry. The pipe, and fittings, obviously from the home store. I recommend, couple of unions, as shown in the pump photo on my photo site (at bottom of post) just in case you need to clean that screen inside the pump.
    You will also need 2 gate valves. Makes life easy with them (total about $40 for everything)
    the next part is optional, but, I reccommend it, the "Eyeball" fitting. get the right size, depending on your pump. Some of the intex shipped with the stronger pump already, mine, didn't.
    Anyway, as far as the pump side connection, I used 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 reducer bushings, then used 1 1/4 I.D. braded hose to make the connection directly to the pump fittings (keep the o-rings on, and tighten with ss hose clamps)
    thats it..!!

I am including a link to pics of my set up, as you will see, I built a fountain, and since I added the larger pump, I had to make a skimmer adapter, since the suction is too much for the skimmer now.

if I can be of more help, let me know...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dj71da...tsun/my_photos

+ Reply to Thread