+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help With Getting New DIY IG Pool Square

Default Need Help With Getting New DIY IG Pool Square

Hello!

I’ve spent the last 12 hours working to try to get my IG pool square. This is a DIY 18 x 36 with 8ft deep end and polymer wall pool which will have a vinyl liner.

No matter what method we try we can’t seem to get it square. When we do get it square, the length of the pool is 2 inches too long, which makes no sense to us. And if we get the length correct the width becomes too long. I’ve had a general contractor and a carpenter working with me today. They’ve built several homes but this is a challenge and we can’t figure out why. The plan tomorrow weather permitting is to remove all the coping and a few of the walls and semi start over. If any of you guys have any advice or suggestions I’m all ears.

Thanks.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Need Help With Getting New IG Pool Square

This is not something I have experience with, so I can offer some 'informed' speculation, but no definite answers.

I've learned the hard way -- many times -- NOT to assume that the manufacturer supplied the 'right stuff'. So . . . I'd recommend measuring the sections and making sure that they add up to the perimeter or length they should. For example, on a 36' long side, with (8) 4' sections, if each section is 1/4" too long . . . you'll end up with 2" extra!

Once you've verified the bits and pieces, check and make sure your section to section connections are correct. Again, it only takes 1/4" extra, per section, to create the problem you're having.

If you find no errors there, meticulously measure the top perimeter of the wall. Then Tuesday (since Monday is Memorial Day), call the manufacturer and ask them, after giving them the info you have.

Hope this helps!

PS. Just had a thought -- if the panel flanges are 'bulged' or out of 'square' themselves a bit, perhaps due to aging or floppy molds at the manufacturers, that could also cause a problem like yours.

Also, depending on the design of the coping and track, it's possible that 2" extra is not a problem.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Need Help With Getting New IG Pool Square

Upgraded membership; moved thread to IG pool construction section => you may need to log in and log out to gain access!

+ Reply to Thread