+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing a 400k BTUH Minimax heater -- what's best?

Default Replacing a 400k BTUH Minimax heater -- what's best?

Hi,

I am in Connecticut and I have/had a Purex Triton Minimax Plus 400 heater (Propane) for 15 years, it was a beast. My property got hit by a tornado last week and my heater got crushed. Insurance is going to cover it but when looking at the heaters available now, none that I see are getting good reviews. Some are coming with LED screens and displays that I'd rather steer away from. I liked the simplicity of the dials to set the temp on my Minimax. Much easier for me to diagnose and fix issues.

I have a 15,000 gal gunite pool with an attached spa. Duel zone temps would be nice but not necessary.

What would you recommend?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: What Heater?

The only heater I've recently had experience with is the Hayward Universal -- and I got 6 - 9 years use out of them, but on commercial pools in somewhat hard service. I've also seen some heaters in sad shape, but they weren't 'mine', and I didn't examine them closely

So, with those limitations in mind:

+ Stay away -- far away -- from the Sta-Rite heaters. From what I've seen, they are awful.

+ Many heaters are NOT salt compatible, though the company usually makes a salt compatible model for extra $$$'s.

+ The Hayward Universal has a cupro-nickel heat exchanger that IS salt compatible.

+ The Hayward Universal also a spa / pool switch allowing different settings. I think some controllers can switch electronically, but I never used it, so I didn't investigate.

+ The Hayward requires 120V to operate at all -- but I think most do, now -- and replacement parts are electronic and expensive.

+ All pool heaters will last longer if kept off the ground, away from chemical fumes, with all chemical feeders (incl salt) DOWNSTREAM of the heater. (My heaters were in a damp pump room with chemicals stored nearby -- not ideal.)

Anyhow, you can check it out here: 400K Hayward Universal Propane . The reviews look pretty favorable. NOTE: I have seen bad heater reviews before, but when I read them, it was clear that EITHER it was a self-install by a clueless DIY-er OR the purchaser had unrealistic expectations.

Good luck!

Default Re: What Heater?

Thanks Ben! I do not have a salt pool so that is good. I was looking at that one so thanks for confirming it for me and for your other expertise.

+ Reply to Thread