+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Planning to build an IG pool in August 2018

Default Planning to build an IG pool in August 2018

Hi, I'm new to the pool ownership community! We will be starting our build in August, but I'm searching and trying to learn as much as possible before then! We are putting in a 18x35x29 lagoon vinyl pool. Can't wait to learn more!

Jen

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New here!

[ Upgraded membership; moved thread to IG pool construction section => you may need to log in and log out to gain access! ]

There are several things I've learned, over the past few years:
    • In many parts of the country, though many people SELL pools, there are no pool builders who are BOTH competent and honest.
    • Most pool service guys are not smart enough to learn on their own, and there is neither a good training program for them, nor expert supervision.
    • In many parts of the country, 95+% of high end pools (over $75,000 in NW Georgia) have MAJOR design and installation issues.

Don't misunderstand me: I like pools, and my wife loves them. But they are not for everyone, and unlike a motor home or boat, you can't just sell it when you discover you really didn't want one.

Also, you should read the answers to the two Quora threads, below.
    https://www.quora.com/What-should-ev...-swimming-pool
    https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-buy-swimming-pools

Wow, I couldn’t relate to those threads at all. So much gloom and doom! Most of those cons don’t reflect our experience as pool owners. I guess we must be unicorn pool owners.

We’ve had our pool 14 years and still use it daily (no kids) as weather permits during the season. The pool care knowledge gained here has made it easy to maintain.

No regrets here.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

No, not everyone has that experience. Obviously, most of the people who've posted here a lot, have not.

But pretty much anyone with a bad pool installations does . . . and I wasn't exaggerating when I said virtually all recent $75,000 plus installations in my area have MAJOR problems, even the ones built by the 'top' luxury builder from Atlanta!

Also, the track record for fairly simple 'cookie-cutter' pools -- even large ones -- is much, much better than for custom designs.

What makes it all worse, is that MANY pool owners discover that they do not ACTUALLY enjoy having a pool. Obviously PoolForum can help them hate it less, but enjoying a pool is up to them.

That’s realy sad that pools that expensive are so troublesome.

I guess we have what you call a cookie cutter pool. It’s a vinyl liner pool with polymer walls that we chose from a list of designs the builder offered. What few problems we had during construction, the builder took care of promptly without fuss.

We contemplated getting a pool for some time before getting one (this is the only pool we’ve ever had). Some friends of ours loved theirs, which motivated us to go for it.

I must say, though, a big part of our positive pool experience is due to the knowledge gained here about proper pool care. Had we only access to pool store help, I might not be so happy with it.

+ Reply to Thread