+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool pump outside. In Canada.

Default Pool pump outside. In Canada.

I have a Hayward Super Pump 1HP that is pretty much gone. It's running loud and hot so I want to replace it but I don't have $700 to replace it with another Hayward. I found a pump on Amazon that has some pretty positive reviews, but the pump says "For indoor use only".

So, I guess it is not setup to run outside in the elements. I had my Hayward running uncovered outside without issues last summer, but that probably added to the reason it died. Although it was already old when I bought the house a couple of years ago.

Anyway... is there anything that I can buy (like a container) that I can put the pump inside to run it so that it is not exposed to the rain, etc?

Or, would the pump be okay if I put it inside one big deck box and plumbed through the side of the box? I can plumb it easily, just not sure if it will over heat or something in July/Aug?

Thanks.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-20-2018 at 01:52 PM.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool pump outside.

[ Upgraded membership; moved thread to IG pool equipment section => you may need to log in and log out to gain access! ]
    • I'm not sure what sort of pump you're looking at, but an "indoors only" pump is not a pool pump. I'd look at those reviews carefully -- a lot of dodgy equipment makers BUY 5-start reviews on Amazon.
    • Heat will kill pumps faster than water: enclosing a pump the WRONG way, guarantees a short life.
    • A 1 HP Hayward Super Pump is not $700 at Amazon, unless Candian custom agents are doing something funky with the gear. Follow the link and check it out!
    The Super Pump is not the most efficient pump, but it's one of the most durable and easiest to prime. I'd put up with the noise till I'd saved enough to get a decent replacement.

Also, you might check to see if there is a "fractional motor" repair shop in your vicinity. There's a good chance the noise is a bearing, and you might be able to get new bearings and new seals for $150 or so. It's likely that would be better than an "indoor only" Chinese 'pool' pump.

Thank you for your response. I just heard about an electrical motor shop and I will call them after the weekend. However, I really think they are going to say no way. The whole armature is solid rust. So I don't think fixing it is going to be a viable option.

Hayward can be the only reliable option? Is there not a lower cost pump that I can get? Even if it only lasts 3 to 5 years? I'm going back to school in September so I need to keep my expenses down.

The $700 that I referred to is from the local pool store. I don't like to purchase $400 to $500 from Amazon.

The pump I'm looking at is: TruSonik 2HP High Flow Swimming Pool Pump | Inground or Above Ground | Large Filter Basket | Stainless Steel Motor Drive Shaft (2 HP) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06Y1H2R8K/..._7qyaBbAF3T79K

Would appreciate if someone can offer a lower prices option than the super pump.

Also... the $365 link that you shared works out to about $556 CAD when you include exhanhe rates and the taxes that have to be paid bringing across the boarder. Plus any shipping, duties and brokerage fees. So it likely would come out to almost $700-ish.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-20-2018 at 11:59 AM.

22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

"Solid rust"?

OK, that's new info. How does a "solidly rusted armature" make any noise at all?

Anyhow, you're right, about the Canadian vs US pool thing. I was going to recommend a Hayward above-ground pump that's a better alternative to the one you're looking at . . . but shipping to Canada is $180 Cdn.

Basically, there's no way to get there, from here. I tend to forget between threads, just how hard it is to help non-US pool owners: the test kits aren't available; the chemicals aren't available; the equipment isn't available.

All that's left is providing general or conceptual information, but unfortunately trying to answer specific questions inevitably ends up wasting your time and ours.

Sorry. Good luck with the pump.

Jim and I cross-posted.

His idea is a good one, if you can handle the motor and seal replacement.

If you do, ELEVATING the pump (concrete patio blocks) may help avoid repeat problems. SuperPumps can, and do, run 15 years on summer-use pools, without needing service.

I got 10 years out of the original motor. In hindsight, I probably should have kept the old motor and had it fixed to keep on hand as a backup. Manually chlorinating and stirring up the pool until the new motor arrived was no fun.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Default Re: Pool pump outside. In Canada.

I'm not opposed to trying to rebuild the pump but my neighbour who is very mechanically inclined just told me not to rebuild it. He said last year when he unsiezed it there was too much wear and tear on the housing (Because the impeller was off bakance) which is why he thinks the seals were maybe leaking. He said if I replace the motor and impeller it is likely to happen again.

Default Re: Pool pump outside. In Canada.

If the guy who would be doing it, tells you it won't work . . . take him at his word.

There's a certain amount of skill and experience needed to do it successfully, and he'd know better than anyone if he possesses it.

But, if you have the space, I'd save the old pump. A properly rebuilt SuperPump with a new motor IS as good as new.

+ Reply to Thread