+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Small rip and liner shifted

Default Small rip and liner shifted

First post newbie here. I know it is frowned upon posting about anothers pool, but my Father Inlaw is not very internet savy and we use their pool quite a lot. They have an in ground pool with a liner.

Late last fall or over the winter, a leak formed in the return pipe from the bottom drain which dropped the water about 4 feet over the winter. In order to verify the suspected pipe leak, we lowered the water in the pool, installed a plug in the bottom drain and added water. Since the water level wasn't dropping after this we are fairly sure the leak is in the pipe between the drain and the pump.

My father in law continued to fill the pool and today the liner started ripping around one of the fittings where water gets pumped into the pool. Water started leaking out through the rip. The liner appears to have shifted some through this ordeal as the liner is pulled away from the corner structure by at least 3 inches and appears to be under tension. There are also some wrinkles in the bottom. The liner is about 5 years old. We think we can patch the tear, but need the liner back into position to take the tension off it and it need to be back in place for proper support. Is there a way to get the liner shifted back into it's proper position?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Small rip and liner shifted

[ Upgraded membership; moved thread to IG pool construction section => you may need to log in and log out to gain access! ]

There's no one currently active on my forum that could advise you step by step . . . but your best bet is to see if there is someone local and competent who can help you. (Probably not: in fall, maybe. In spring, most half-way competent builders are up to their eyeballs. But it's still your best chance!)

If you end up having to try it yourself:

1. Have a plan for failure. If the liner is damaged irreparably, what will you do? (Shifting a 5 year old ripped liner is dicey, at best.)
    2. Use my new Super Search page (http://pool9.net/ssearch/ to search both here and on Trouble Free Pool for similar threads. That page will create advanced Google search links . . . and Google knows my site and the other site much better than anyone else.
    3. Make SURE you have ALL the equipment you need before you start. Once you get going, damage will occur if you aren't able to keep going.

Good luck!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-19-2018 at 10:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread