+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Homemade liquid CYA?

Default Homemade liquid CYA?

With the amount of rain we get during the season, requiring pumping out excess water, I usually have to add CYA several times a season. Adding dry CYA is somewhat of a pain, requiring running the pump longer than usual.

I got to thinking, to make adjustments easier, what if I put granular CYA in empty bleach bottles (well rinsed out) then fill them with water. I imagine it would dissolve by a week’s time (shaken occasionally)? I could make up several bottles of this to keep on hand for easy/quick adjustments. Each bottle could contain enough CYA to boost levels by 10ppm (about 1.75lbs dry CYA for our pool).

Does this sound like it would work well, or is my thinking whacked?
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Homemade liquid CYA?

I'm not sure what's in "liquid stabilizer", but it's not plain cyanuric acid, which has a maximum solubility in water of about 2,700 ppm. (A 50% solution would be 500,000 ppm.)

Your closest approach to an inexpensive and easy to dissolve stabilizer is dichlor, which is about 50% stabilizer by weight (for the typical dihydrate version sold).

Default Re: Homemade liquid CYA?

Thanks Ben.

A friend of mine sent a video showing the slurry he made with CYA. Though the CYA “goo” would settle to the bottom after awhile, he could stir it up before adding it to the pool. Certainly that slurry would dissolve much quicker in the pool than the original granular stuff.

I set up an experiment using an empty bleach jug to see if I could create a CYA slurry, if not true liquid CYA. Since the amount of CYA I put in the jug is known, I know the effect of adding the entire contents of the single jug will have on my pool.

I’ll let you know how it goes.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread