+ Reply to Thread

Thread: solar blanket blown by wind

Question solar blanket blown by wind

My solar blanket on my IG 16x32 pool is blowing to one side . This is happening in less than 14mph winds. At one point last season the reel was pulled into the pool. The Last blanket was a heavier gauge than the new one this year. I have since anchored the reel support to the cement. I have enjoyed the pool for over 15 years and only had this cover problem the last two. Any suggestions on keeping the cover to stay put.
    RFE,Ohio 23,000 IG ,DE filter, spa w/cartridge filters

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: solar blanket blown by wind

My guess is, you just need something to make sure the edges stay on, or under, water. Some sort of weight would do that.

But there are several things that make that tricky:
    + whatever you use on the edges has to be heavy enough, but not too heavy; AND
    + it has to not corrode or mess with your water chemistry; AND
    + it has to be EITHER easily removable OR small enough to not interfere with the roller.

That pretty much points to some sort of metal, but not steel or brass or copper or aluminum weights . . . which leaves medium to high grade stainless steel.

I can think of two possible ways to do that; you may be able to come up with others.

First, you could use a stainless piano hinge. The one linked is cheap and probably light enough to avoid the "too heavy" problem. If you drill it on both ends and use a short stainless bolt and wing nut (Home Depot and Lowes both have them) you could install and remove them easily. I'm not sure how many you'd need; probably at least two, and possibly four. Drilling stainless is tricky. Use the smallest bit you can find a bolt & nut set to match, and try to go slowly enough, and press hard enough, so the bit doesn't slide around without cutting: stainless tends to 'work-harden' if you 'rub' without cutting. These bits work as well in stainless as any I've ever used: Dewalt Cobalt Drill Bit set

Alternatively, you could just go with some short stainless bolts, some stainless fender washers, and some matching stainless acorn nuts. For example:
    + 1/4-20 x 3/4" Button Head Socket Cap Screws 18-8
    + Prime-Line 9075237 Lock Nut, 1/4-20 18-8
    + 1/4" x 1" OD 18-8 Stainless Fender Washer, (100 pk)

Not sure how many it would take; you'd just have to add some, and then add some more, till you got enough.

Regardless, watch your stainless grades. Either 18-8 or "304" should be fine. Grade "316" is also fine, but unless you find it on sale overkill AND expensive. If you get stainless that is magnetic . . . it's low grade stuff that you should NOT put in your pool; it may rust and stain things, especially if you use a salt chlorination system.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread