+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with Polaris

Default Help with Polaris

Last year we purchased a Polaris to clean our above ground pool. We had to adjust the flow because it zipped around the pool so fast. This year the thing hardly moves at all. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Vicki

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Help with Polaris

It's clogged somewhere.
    Carl

b2001 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst b2001 0

I'm assuming a Polaris 65 ... I've done just about everything that I know of to get these working. Generally, I think there is either a flow blockage problem with the polaris itself or a pressure leak problem with the filter-pump system or the polaris itself.

Refering to a parts list:

http://www.mypool.com/Help_files/Par...rams/Pol65.htm

1. I'm sure you know to clean the filter screen (part 34) - it can get clogged pretty easily.

2. I've cracked the connector chamber before (part 10) - even little hairline cracks will cause it to slow down and not work.

3. Filter connector/randomizer tube kit (part 9) - the filter at the end of this can also get clogged - this tube can be pulled out and the filter sprayed clean, if it is too dirty, then replace it.

4. Piston assembly (part 5) - there are a couple of plastic rings that seat in this and rub against the cylinder (part 3) as the piston moves in and out. I've run my fingers under the outer edge of these rings all the way around to try to bring them out some to create a tighter seating against the cylinder. I've also wet sanded the piston handle - mine was pitted, and this smoothed it out some. I was very careful not to sand too much off.

5. My leaf pot cover had a small hairline crack in it - everything seemed ok, but there was enough of a pressure leak that the polaris would not work.

6. Right before I converted from baquacil, I was having issues with my filter pressure going up very quickly, and I was having problems with the polaris moving - maybe there is a connection there, maybe not. After conversion, I haven't had a polaris problem.

All parts can be bought individually off the web. The local dealers here dont't carry the parts - they want you to buy more expensive sub-assemblies.

Check the randomizer. Take the unit apart and look at the tube. Try pulling on the white piece that goes into the tube. If it is broken, it will move with A LOT of resistence. You may also notice some black streaking inside the tube. Looks like grit has scratched the tube on the inside. Contact Polaris about it and they will send you a new radomizer tube

I had a Polaris 65 and had the same problem. They replaced the tube THREE times. After the third, I didn't use it and sold it on Ebay and got 90 percent of my money back. It did not work for me.

Pressure in the return was too great, even with the pressure adjuster on the Polaris 65 wide open.

I find it easier to vacuum for 10 minutes then using an automatic cleaner.

Good Luck with what ever you decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by vlapinta
    Last year we purchased a Polaris to clean our above ground pool. We had to adjust the flow because it zipped around the pool so fast. This year the thing hardly moves at all. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Vicki
    Vicki,

How did you adjust the flow?
    Joe
    27ft 17K gallon Polytech aluminum & stainless AG Pool / DE filter / Wedding Cake Steps

+ Reply to Thread