+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Excess Liner on J Hook installation Grrrr..

Default Excess Liner on J Hook installation Grrrr..

Okay, how the heck to I get these creases and folds out? I have a J hook liner, so I can't just pull the excess up the wall. Should I work them out to the wall and see if, as the liner presses against the wall, the excess is taken up? Or is it just a matter of working them till I have some reasonable ammout of wrinkles?

Man, this pool has been one of the more frustrating projects I've taken on.

Default Re: Excess Liner on J Hook installation Grrrr..

Hi, Those photos really explain why I dislike beaded liners. They can be a real pain, and some never will fit right. You have a couple of options. You can go back here

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=985

and follow Matt's advice. The most important thing in doing it that way is getting the liner aligned perfectly. The seams going end to end must be perfect at both ends. From the pics they look fine but it's hard to tell for sure. With that done you need to get that bottom seem in the same general location, in relation to your side wall, all the way around.

I find many beaded liners to be short at the ends with a lot of excess on the sides. Your best results will come from it being as even as possible. The seam may be up the wall a few inches at both sides and a few inches away at both ends but that's ok. It needs to be centered.

Centering the bottom should leave the bottom smooth and all of the excess to the sides. At this point you can pull the liner over the wall and attach with coping or bring out the shop vac and see how flat you can get those sides.

From what I see in the photo I would unhook the top, align the bottom and then reattach the liner.

You then should have a smooth bottom and can start adding water. Decide at that point weather to go get some coping or bring out the shop vac. If you overlap the liner your tile will look like crap. If you don’t your sides may look like crap. Or it may be a perfect fit and turn out great.

Best of luck, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

posguy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst posguy 0

Robot,

I have the same exact prob w/ a 24 Rd, I have been in the pool all day working wrinkles to the sides (Tried to stay out of the pool but it just wasnt going to happen). My pool sides look exactly like yours.

I will NEVER do this again! The mechanical stuff is easy, its the stuff like smoothing the sand and setting the liner that is a "craft". My hats off to Dennis and the other pros. To bad not all installers are "pros".

I now must find some boxer glue to fix a small hole I poked through the liner.

Oh well you get what you pay for.

Anthony

Well, after my panic attack and post :wink: I had a beer, thought about it for a few min. and went back at it. I hooked up the shop vac and that seemed to do wonders. So, I have the bottom pretty good. There are 4 wrinkles you can notice that I just can't get out. They are each 2-3 ft long and I believe they are just part of the landscape. I have one area where the wall will have a couple small wrinkles because the liner is too long. I have about 8 in of water in and I'm hoping that as the sand compacts, it will help out a bit. But I don't think the sand is going to compact that much.

So, what about that "They streatch to fit" thing I hear about ? If I could set the Wayback machine, I'd put in 1 inch less sand and have smaller coves. I'll get pictures tomorrow.

I think it will all turn out okay. Things always do. But I really agree with POSGUY. My hats off you guys like Dennis. This is an art. You can plan, and set strings and levels tamp and do all the stuff you are supposed to. But when the shovel hits the ground, you either got it or you don't.

Hi, so glad to here things are looking better. Things always look better for me after my first beer.

The stretch to fit thing, the liner needs to be small and stretch into the pool. If the liner is big, the stretch thing does not apply.

Look forward to seeing more pics, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

+ Reply to Thread