+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Muriatic Acid Useful Life or Expiration Date

Smile Muriatic Acid Useful Life or Expiration Date

How long does Muriatic Acid last in its original gallon bottle? I have some that must be at least 3 yrs. old. Thanks.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Muriatic Acid Useful Life or Expiration Date

Forever! It does not go bad.

BUT . . . and this is a HUGE BUTT . . . the bottles do go bad, if exposed to sunlight. And, a brittle old bottle can crack open without warning, spilling acid everywhere.

[Upgraded membership; moved thread]

That reminds me, I have a couple bottles of MA that are years old (stored outside in a plastic, covered garbage can). Since adjusting TA and adding borates years ago, pH has been rock solid, so I haven’t had to add acid.

This thread reminds me I need to contact the city to find out how to properly dispose it.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

That could be problematic. HAZMAT fees can be horrendous.

Here are some alternatives:
    • Give it to a brick or masonry contractor.
    • Give it to pool contractor
    • Add it to 5 gallons of water in a plastic garbage can; add "washing soda" till it stops foaming; pour it down the tub. It's just salty water at that point!

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    That could be problematic. HAZMAT fees can be horrendous.

Here are some alternatives:
    • Give it to a brick or masonry contractor.
    • Give it to pool contractor
    • Add it to 5 gallons of water in a plastic garbage can; add "washing soda" till it stops foaming; pour it down the tub. It's just salty water at that point!
    Interesting. I like the third option. Is there a certain amount of water I should use for each gallon of MA? I’m not sure the exact amount I still have...will have to look tomorrow.

Thanks.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

2 gallons of water to 1 gallon of acid will stop the 'fuming' or release of hydrogen chloride gas. This is important, since sodium carbonate (washing soda) + hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid) => carbon dioxide + salt. The carbon dioxide is what will be bubbling up . . . but if the acid is still concentrated will facilitate the release of acid gas fumes.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    2 gallons of water to 1 gallon of acid will stop the 'fuming' or release of hydrogen chloride gas. This is important, since sodium carbonate (washing soda) + hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid) => carbon dioxide + salt. The carbon dioxide is what will be bubbling up . . . but if the acid is still concentrated will facilitate the release of acid gas fumes.
    Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

Thanks for the info, Ben.

I did as you suggested. I had just over two gallons of MA left. It took just under 4 boxes of washing soda (55 oz each I believe) until it stopped reacting with the diluted acid.

Btw, I visited 4 stores before finding one that had washing soda. ��

I have a few boxes left. I assume I can use this in the future in the pool to raise pH if needed? I usually have to raise pH at spring opening, and then it stays rock solid all season.

In our area, Walmart has washing soda and borax in stock more consistently than others.

FYI "washing soda" = sodium carbonate = 'pH Up' aka 'pH increaser' aka pH+', etc. Contrary to some pool store villains, it's not almost the same, it's exactly the same as what's sold as pH+ and so on.

And it too, will keep indefinitely, though it will turn into white lumps if it gets damp.

That’s good to know. I’ll keep the rest inside (climate controlled) to minimize clumping.

I normally use borax to raise pH, but I used the last I had at opening. It was really clumped up from being stored in the shed.

I’m glad to be rid of that old MA. I haven’t needed it in years.

+ Reply to Thread