+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to me old pool

Default New to me old pool

I just bought a 30 years old house with a pool. It works. The pump looks old and the sun has destroyed the tag the would tell me the hp . It is running about 6 hours a day. The plumbing is 1 1/2”. I’m guessing it is 1 1/2 hp from looking on line. Are new pumps much more efficient than older ones or is it all about the same? The pool has renently been resurfaces and it looks great but the filter, and pump look many years old.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New to me old pool

Membership upgraded to *General*

Regarding pumps, there's no single answer. There are some old pumps that are fairly efficient. BUT . . . your options for new, efficient pumps with 1.5" piping is very limited. Worse, very few pool service guys would know how to size and select a 'better' pump.

What's likely to happen is that you will get 'sold' a pump, that might be better or worse, but will probably be oversized and cause problems.

+ Reply to Thread