+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hand me down pump comparison/question..

Hybrid View

Wink Hand me down pump comparison/question..

Hi,

Upon trying to startup my pool this year, I found my pump was seized up. It was leaking a bit at the shaft seal for a bit so I guess it finally corroded enough to lock it up. Tried for a bit to break it free but it seems to be a lost cause for now. The pump is a PE71-II-V "1.5 HP SPL", sold as a Proline.

My father in law had a Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump laying around, Model SP1515-Z-1-ESC. I haven't hooked it up yet and wanted to find out if these are similar in flow/power and compatible with my filter before doing so.

My Pool is a 24'/52" round above ground. My filter is a "Waterway ClearWater" 22" sand filter.. Specs listed on the label are:

Max Flow Rate (GPM) - 55
    Max Working Pressure - 35
    Sand Weight - 150
    SqFt Surface Area - 2.64

Im thinking that this pump is a true 1.5HP setup where my broken pump is a 1.5 special, so might be too much for my filter? I believe a 1.5 HP Special is closer to 3/4 HP.. so I dont want to have issues with pushing too much water through my filter.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    24' Round 52" (44"/12450gal) Deep Namco Morada - ClearWater 22" Sand Filter - 1.5HP (SPL) Speck Pump - Taylor K-2006C Test Kit

Default Re: Hand me down pump comparison/question..

As far as I can tell, this pump can do 91 GPM with like 10 to 30ft of head loss.. while this filter only does 55 GPM max.. But a 1.5" hose can only do 46 GPM max (maybe less for these flexy above ground hoses, not PVC).. so does that mean this pump would never be able to over power my filter? My skimmer will be attached to this pump via a 6ft 1.5" flexy hose, and my filter is hooked up to my return via the same. Ive seen packages where this pump comes with an 18" 150 lb filter, so maybe its fine?

Also its hard to find info on the SP1515 pump, but I believe its closest relative is the Hayward SP1593.

Anybody able to confirm my thoughts or give me other info? I need to get this hooked up soon as the wife and kids are getting angry! :P
    24' Round 52" (44"/12450gal) Deep Namco Morada - ClearWater 22" Sand Filter - 1.5HP (SPL) Speck Pump - Taylor K-2006C Test Kit

+ Reply to Thread