+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice on stairs for above ground pool

Default Need advice on stairs for above ground pool

We're building a deck around the pool. I'd like to have wedding cake steps going down into the pool; however we live in Nebraska where it freezes every winter. Can I even have that type of stairs or do I need something that can be easily pulled out when closing the pool? Can anyone recommend some stairs that have worked well for you?
    18'x54" round Doughboy pool; 1/2 HP compact pool pump; 12" sand filter; very hard well water; TFTest Kits TF-100

Default Re: Need advice on stairs for above ground pool

Can't help much, sorry. However, I have read that wedding cake stairs can harbor algae, so be sure to drill holes in them to increase circulation if you choose them.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

I've heard that too. Maybe I should consider other options.
    18'x54" round Doughboy pool; 1/2 HP compact pool pump; 12" sand filter; very hard well water; TFTest Kits TF-100

How about any of these?
    Confer CCX-AG steps
    [ links to poorly rated steps removed - Admin ]
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-17-2018 at 07:17 PM. Reason: links to poorly rated steps removed
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

We live in Pennsylvania. Our AGP freezes every winter. We have wedding cake steps which we lift out and store under the pool deck when we close in October. The pool is now in its 10th season. We drilled 2" holes into the sides of the steps to facilitate water circulation. When I brush the pool using the Wall Whale brush I make it a point to push water against the steps to give it some extra circulation. We do get algae where the bottom of the steps rests on the floor of the pool but that easily remedied by lifting the steps up and brushing the area.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

After reading many reviews on Amazon and other sites, I decided on the Confer steps (2nd link that FormerBromineUser posted above). I also purchased the curved add-on piece that makes the steps wider. Based on the reviews, I think I'll make some weights out of PVC pipe rather than filling the steps with sand like the instructions tell you to do. I'll never get them pulled back out of the water if they weigh too much! Anna K. I noticed your link to instructions on how to make the weights. Thanks!

Those step weights have worked out great for us. Our challenge was to find a way to fasten them to the top step in the interior of the wedding cake construct so they could hang. In the absence of that weight in the back the steps tended to tilt forward and away from the wall. Our dogs are VERY rowdy when they jump off the top step.
    Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

We put pvc pipe with a t on the ends through the openings on the sides. Then put 2 50lb. bags of sand in the big ziplock bags on them. Easy to remove in the fall.
    1 1/2hp Emerson 2speed pump, BBB
    27' round 19.3K gal AG Vinyl Liner pool; sand filter; pump: 24 hrs on low; Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Chlorine; utility water ; PF:6.9

+ Reply to Thread