+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4 Little Tricks I've Learned

Default 4 Little Tricks I've Learned

Hello all. I wasn't sure where a good spot for this post was but since my water stays crystal clear I thought I'd place it here. Here are a couple of little secrets that I've used for the past couple of years and will use forever.

1. Spray Down - After mowing the lawn my pool would always tend to have a small film of "dust" on the water. I like to get my garden hose with the spray nozzle and set it for "SHOWER" or "FULL" (although any setting will work) and spray the water down. Sounds crazy? Well, after just a few seconds of this, the water surface is back sparkling clean again.

2. Diminishing Return - I have 24' AG and honestly think that the direction of the return vent is very important given different situations. Debris tends to collect in the center when you adjust the vent anywhere near 90 degrees (close to the water level). Pointing it more downward seems to work better for me. Pointing up does a little better than out to the sides but the violent waves seem to deter debri from going into the skimmer. I've also heard that when you have splashes you lose chlorine faster. Downward, and a maximum of 45 degrees in any direction seems to work best. Also, when I have floats/toys that keep winding up in the skimmer mouth I just turn the vent toward the skimmer mouth. That keeps em at bay.

3. Water Level - My skimmer works best when there's only an inch and a half or so of water pouring over and into it. Much more than that and items will just swirl around in the water funnel and when you turn your pump off they float right back out into the pool. One downside to doing this though is that if you let the water level get dow too too low (about 3 quarters of an inch for me) your pump starts to strain (not getting enough water) and cough and choke. You'll have to be on top of how your pump is performing if you want to run that water low into your skimmer. I add a little water every week or so because I like running mine kind of low.

4. Aqua Bug Hideout - I'm real big in vacuuming my pool. I think it's the single most important ingredient (next to good chemical balance of course) to a crystal clear pool. It's not uncommon for me to run my AquaBug overnight several times a week. To make a long stroy short, when I'm not expecting a pool party and I'm finished with the bug, I break the hose down into three two-piece sections. I fill these sections with water and connect them to theirselves (picture three big individual circles now). I then simply hang them over the side of the pool near the return (too far from the return and bugs and debris likes to collect on them at water level). That's right, part of the hose is in the water and part hanging over the outside of the pool. I then place the Aquqbug itself under the water and underneath the pool ladder inside the pool. This way, I'm not hauling all that stuff back and forth across my yard every few days and it's pretty much out of the way.

Whew. Sorry I've been away for so long. Going into my 3rd pool season, these are the biggest individual tricks that I've learned myself. Any pros or cons? What are some of your little tricks?

Pics coming soon.
    Last edited by dirtysouth; 06-16-2006 at 04:27 AM.

Default Oh, here go some pics of us.

Default Re: More pics

Default Only In Tha South

Default Re: 4 Little Tricks I've Learned

Notice the hoses draped over the side in next to the last picture.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Nice post, DS! I really enjoyed it.

The post-mowing spray is a new one to me, but it does make some sense.

The rest of your steps are all sound and logical and work for you. I don't see any cons to them. You seem to have a really good handle on your pool.

To lay out ALL the tips/tricks would take a while, but if you check each topic here at PoolForum.com you'll see threads stickied at the top. The bulk of what many of us do is there. I don't know how you handle your chemicals and testing, but our suggestions will be there.

Generally, pics like yours (great family and friends shots--I really like the dog with his/her tennis ball!) go in the Above Ground Pool Gallery stickied thread in the "Off Topic..." forum. They are GREAT pictures and everyone will enjoy seeing them wherever they are!

Dog hair can be hard on filters, so be careful about that--I would STRONGLY suggest you use skimmer socks to protect your filter. They are cheap, go under various brand names, and go in your skimmer like a Mr. Coffee filter.

Most importantly: Do NOT let the horse in the pool!
    Carl

Thanks Carl. I didn't know about the dog hair. That's some great advice. We don't let her in the water often but it's good knowing that her hair can cause problems.

Thanks again.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysouth
    Thanks Carl. I didn't know about the dog hair. That's some great advice. We don't let her in the water often but it's good knowing that her hair can cause problems.

Thanks again.
    You are welcome! The skimmer socks are great to use all the time. I JUST finally tossed the first one this morning. The elastic was getting too stretched to hold it to the skimmer basket. They are something like 3 for $5 or 5 fo $5 and I've gotten over a month out of one.

Dog hair can clog the pump since it gets past both filter baskets, especially if she's shedding. (My dog when she blows her coat, about every 6 months, there is fur EVERYWHERE, indoors and out---that's a Belgian Tervuren for you!)
    Carl

VOLDADDY is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher VOLDADDY 1 star

DS,

Great pics! Your water looks great. The pictures of the kids having fun is what a pool is all about. Looks like you enjoy your pool, along with family/friends/neighbors. Keep up the good work!

The pic of the little guy passed out in the chair was too cute!

I also enjoyed your pictures.

Question: How do you get the dog in and out of the pool? Does he/she use a ladder? I have a lab with bad hips and I'm sure she would love to go for a swim, but I'm not sure how I'd get her in and out...

Hints?

(I don't have stairs, only a ladder...)

+ Reply to Thread