+ Reply to Thread

Thread: opening my green pool...UGH

Hybrid View

Default opening my green pool...UGH

this is the first season we are opening our pool with SWCG. After closing for the winter with the winter cover I was expecting better...we had a very warm winter in GA. It is very green...UGH! I just want to make sure I get it cleaned up properly. I started the pump just on recirculate as to prevent all of the green from going into the filter. The PH was just at 7.2. I added borax to raise it. I haven't rechecked it yet. Alkalinity was also low at 50. I added baking soda to raise it. I still have it just circulating. I couldn't get the FC to test. It wouldn't turn pink when I added the DPD powder. I know that there is no chlorine. I did go ahead and pour 4 gallons of bleach in at sundown tonight. I'm sure that isn't enough. I didn't know what to do about the salt system. I did read somewhere to try to clean it up before starting the SWCG. I have not turned it on yet. Am I on the right track for cleaning up. I know I have to kill all of the algae then vacuum. When should I turn the SWCG on and will it tell me how much salt to add? Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!
    PF=5; 23K gal IG kidney vinyl pool, Triton II Sand Filter, Whisperflow VS Pump, Taylor 2006 kit, Jacuzzi/Carvin Saniclear 40 SWCG

Default Re: opening my green pool...UGH

tested the water this morning. It's not too bad...
    FC 7.5
    PH 7.6
    ALK 90
    Cal 25 Does this matter with a vinyl liner?
    CYA 40

It does look a tiny bit better this morning...but still a long way to go I will see how the FC lasts today with the sun. I still have it just on circulate. I was hoping to kill some of the algae and then vacuum to waste before I run it through the filter. Any suggestions on the chemical levels? The water is pretty cold, but I haven't checked the temp. yet.
    PF=5; 23K gal IG kidney vinyl pool, Triton II Sand Filter, Whisperflow VS Pump, Taylor 2006 kit, Jacuzzi/Carvin Saniclear 40 SWCG

Hi! Sorry about your green water!

Most people with SWG's keep it off anyway during a clean-up, so just wait to add salt until it clears up.

With a CYA level of 40, you need to raise your FC up to 15/16 and keep it there by testing and adding bleach. Do this as often as you can but at least twice a day. Falling below the 15 FC mark delays your clean-up, so stock up on bleach!

Your CH is fine in a vinyl pool. Maybe someone with a SWG can guide you about cleaning it in the meantime so it's ready to go.

Good luck!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Oh, and just in case, 128 oz of 8.25% bleach should raise your FC by 3.7ppm. Another way to look at it is to raise FC by 1ppm, use 34oz.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Thanks so much! I did add more bleach this evening...it is looking much better. I am surprised how quickly the bleach and recirculating is clearing the water. I'll be at it the rest of the week i'm sure, but that's OK. Not too hard, just time consuming.

See if you can check and add one more time tonight so it can sit at high levels overnight without fighting the sun.

Are you brushing all the surfaces well?

+ Reply to Thread