+ Reply to Thread

Thread: opening my green pool...UGH

Hybrid View

Default Re: opening my green pool...UGH

Thanks so much! I did add more bleach this evening...it is looking much better. I am surprised how quickly the bleach and recirculating is clearing the water. I'll be at it the rest of the week i'm sure, but that's OK. Not too hard, just time consuming.
    PF=5; 23K gal IG kidney vinyl pool, Triton II Sand Filter, Whisperflow VS Pump, Taylor 2006 kit, Jacuzzi/Carvin Saniclear 40 SWCG

See if you can check and add one more time tonight so it can sit at high levels overnight without fighting the sun.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Are you brushing all the surfaces well?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

The SWCG cell should only be cleaned if needed. Inspect the cell plates and see if you see any scale buildup on them. If you google "dirty salt cell" you will find pictures of what a dirty cell looks like. If it's not dirty, then it doesn't need cleaning.

If it does need cleaning, refer to your owners manual for the recommended method for your model (I'm not familiar with that model).

With mine (Goldline Aqua Rite with T-15 cell) I rarely need to do anything but hose it out at fall closing. Of course I keep tight control of water chem balance which helps greatly.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Good advice. In addition to maintaining a high level of chlorine and brushing the sides and floor, why not begin filtering? If the pressure rises you can backwash it. This will help clean it up faster.

I seem to recall that vinyl pools like a slightly lower pH (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken). 7.6 is fine, however I think the chlorine is more effective at slightly lower pH levels.

The pH in my gunite pool tends to rise to 8.0+ over time so before shocking I lower it to 7.2-7.5. Once you begin shocking, the high chlorine affects phenol titration so testing pH becomes problematic.

Contrary to what I've read on some pool sites, neither sample dilution (adding deionized/distilled water)* nor induced low chlorine (achieved by adding thiosulfate) will result in a reliable pH reading since both workarounds impact pH.

*Sample dilution using newly manufactured, properly stored and unopened deionized water is better than nothing but it makes sense to me to heed Taylor's recommendation to just wait for chlorine levels to come down before testing pH.
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

Thanks for all of the great tips...I am brushing daily. I thought I would vacuum one more time this morning and then turn the filter on. Then I can watch the pressure and backwash when needed. I am also fighting that fine pollen. The filter will help get rid of that. I stored our salt cel over the winter. It looks really good...nothing on it. It didn't come with a cap to close off one end for cleaning, so I did see how to just use a bucket on line. I'll address that this summer when it needs cleaning.

Thanks you all and have a BLESSED Easter!
    PF=5; 23K gal IG kidney vinyl pool, Triton II Sand Filter, Whisperflow VS Pump, Taylor 2006 kit, Jacuzzi/Carvin Saniclear 40 SWCG

Do you use skimmer socks? They will help catch a lot of the pollen, (and other crud), before it reaches the filter.

I stopped using the water/acid mix to clean my cell. I feel it deteriorates them faster. I just use a wood paint stir stick to work between the plates and knock off the build up.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

+ Reply to Thread