+ Reply to Thread

Thread: any suggestion on controlling horse flies

Default any suggestion on controlling horse flies

we have awful horse flies. they are never around it seems until the kids get in the pool. as soon as everybody gets wet out they come, landing on heads and biting people who get out of the pool. any suggestions???

Default Re: any suggestion on controlling horse flies

My solution to date has been cussing and flailing around with a towel. NOT highly effective. We have the same issue. No matter how slowly you try to go under, they fly away right before they go in.

Today, I considered putting out my tiki torches during the day to see if the flame distracted them.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

There was a hilarious thread on the old forum on this subject, I really wish we still had it.......but the most effective weapon they came up with in that thread was a badminton racquet.......

Janet

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Kids have fun with these....Racquet Zappers. The size of a small tennis racquet but has a high voltage grid that zaps bugs when you catch them. Found them on stupid.com a few years ago for about $15 as I recall.
    Al
    PS: Have to say this..get rid of the horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos
    Kids have fun with these....Racquet Zappers. The size of a small tennis racquet but has a high voltage grid that zaps bugs when you catch them. Found them on stupid.com a few years ago for about $15 as I recall.
    Al

Will it shock you if your in the water using it thought?

They don't seem to get the message when you flail around that you want them to leave you alone.

Only thing I've found that works is let them land them smack them asap. They seem to understand that

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos
    Al
    Al, I haven't had a problem with them since we got horses--now the flies hang out with them instead of us!! Maybe the solution is to buy MORE horses???

Janet

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

we tried fogging the edge of the woods for those bad boys and it seemed to work for only a bit - Maybe using a decoy??? Dunk em in the pool, then stake them out about 20' away from the pool....Whomever doesn't take out the garbage or clean their room today....YOUR IT!!! (evil mom laugh)
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

Cool Re: any suggestion on controlling horse flies

Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom
    ... Maybe using a decoy??? Dunk em in the pool, then stake them out about 20' away from the pool....Whomever doesn't take out the garbage or clean their room today....YOUR IT!!! (evil mom laugh)
    NWMNMom,

I'd be glad to supply you with the decoy on just about any given day!! Yesterday it would have been DD9; Today it would be DH

Love the 'evil mom laugh'... mwa ha ha ha!!

Grace
    Last edited by GraceByDesign; 06-19-2006 at 02:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread