+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maintaining Cl level while away from home w/o chlorine pucks

Default Maintaining Cl level while away from home w/o chlorine pucks

I just drained pool water to get my CYA down from 90-100 to 50-60. We were out of town more than usual last summer and I used the pucks since I was not there to add bleach - which I normally use. I am looking for suggestions members may have for keeping chorine levels high enough while away from the house 1-2 weeks at a time without using pucks and adding stabilizer. Thought I would ask before going to options involving others or spiking chlorine level before leaving. Thanks
    In-ground rectangle 18x36 vinyl, 26,000 gallons, Hayward super pump, 1/2 HP motor, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, Gas Heater (valved off now), county water system same as house, Atlanta, Ga area

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Default Re: Maintaining Cl level while away from home w/o chlorine pucks

What's wrong with "spiking the chlorine level before leaving"? If you have already ruled that out as an option, you leave yourself very little other options.

Haven't ruled it out. Wife sometimes offers pool to friends with kids to use, and they would not be able to swim with high Cl level. But doesn't happen very often. Didn't really think there were any other good options, but wanted to check. Thanks for the reply.
    In-ground rectangle 18x36 vinyl, 26,000 gallons, Hayward super pump, 1/2 HP motor, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, Gas Heater (valved off now), county water system same as house, Atlanta, Ga area

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

There are options, and it is usually OK to swim in higher chlorine levels, depending on how high you go. You probably know how much chlorine you lose each day, and if no one swims in it and it is covered, you will probably lose half that, so plan accordingly for the number of days you are gone. If someone is going to swim in it, have them pour in some bleach when they are done.

You could also add some polyquat algaecide before you leave, do some research on this forum on how to use that.

Other options include installing a SWCG since you seem to be gone a lot in the summer, or some other form of chlorine injection system (beyond my scope).

Lastly, using pucks is not bad, and probably your best option for your situation. You know it will add CYA, so you can deal with that as you need to, but you know your pool will be sanitary while you are gone and other people are swimming in it.

Have you considered teaching your friends how to test your pool while you are away? They could add what's needed, after checking with you, and enjoy the pool! I have done that and the friends were more than happy to learn. They also water my plants while they're at it!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Yes. Actually trained our son last year. Will re-train him again this year and perhaps my neighbor. Thanks for the suggestion.

You're welcome. Have to ask... Where are you going?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread