+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ionizer to replace aquarite?

Hybrid View

Default Ionizer to replace aquarite?

I didn't see a forum specific to ionizers . Apologies if this is in the wrong place.
    I have and aging aqua-rite system with a salt cell(t-15) that is likely going to maybe make it through summer( #2 cell).
    Before i purchase a new cell, ive seen some information on Ionizers , and im wondering how effective this technology is.(10k gallon play pool in phoenix az area)
    interestingly a friend has a pol with the same set of circumstances, though his cell is dead.
    Looking to see if there are new and better alternatives to salt generators.
    the one ive seen talked about the most is; http://www.ecosmarteusa.com/
    Thanks

Default Re: Ionizer to replace aquarite?

After reading some of the material at the website you referenced I'm at a loss to explain why anyone would wish to consider any product sold by this company. I don't know very much about ionizers but the amount of misinformation presented about salt cells and chlorine santitation is staggering.

For example, on the page entitled "Seven Secrets Salt Water Pool Sellers Don't Want You to Know" it is suggested that pool coping must be "resealed" every year because it's being etched or "corroded" by salt water. Really? I've had a salt water pool for ten years and have never sealed the coping.

"Cantilever designs simply disappear as the stone dissolves away" (Mine hasn't)

What could the following assertion possibly mean?

"SECRET #4"
    "You must worry about the pH with a salt system and do regular maintenance or you will destroy the pool and have zero recourse."

I worry about lots of things but this isn't one of them! Zero recourse to what? Testing pH and performing regular maintenance is required for every pool, no matter what system of sanitizer is used.

Really, I know the salt cells are pricey. But wouldn't buying a cell replacement be easier and cost less than buying a entirely new technology? That's leaving aside whether the replacement technology is actually an effective sanitizer.

You may want to search for "ionizer" in threads on this site for more info.

(IMO it's really hard to beat chlorine, whether generated by a SWG or introduced via bleach, for residual sanitation and algae control. I test CYA level often to make sure the chlorine / cyanuric acid ratio is good - see Poolcalculator.com)

My 2 cents.
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

Agreed! From everything I have read, I would definitely steer away from an ionizer and replace your salt cell. If that isn't in your budget right now, simply switch to liquid chlorine/bleach as your primary sanitizer.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Another vote here to stay away from the ionizer. It's pretty much snake oil IMO. Stick with the SWCG or manually chlorinate with plain bleach.

Our pool was installed in March 2004 and has been a salt pool (w/Aqua Rite SWCG) from day one. None of that site's scary warnings have been true in my case. What will cause problems is not keeping the water properly balanced no matter what method of sanitation you use.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Thanks all ! I have indeed seen the light, replacing the cells !

Huzzah! Glad you chose to avoid the dark-side!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread