+ Reply to Thread

Thread: green pool already, help on how to handle it

Hybrid View

Default green pool already, help on how to handle it

Well the wonderful warm winter we have had has caused me to start having an algae bloom. I never checked the chemical levels over the winter as i usually have no issues till spring time. Im not sure how to handle it as all my pumps and lines are winterized still. I did put a small pump in and put a lot of 73% shock dissolved in a bucket to try to clean it up but it seemed to only clean around the pump. I dont feel much will help unless i remove the mesh safety cover and scrub it while i shock it. I usually dont open till maybe middle of may.
    Wondering if maybe a healthy dose of algaecide may help slow it down or minimize it. I was also thinking of getting a solid tarp and putting it over the safety cover to help block sunlight and maybe slow algae growth down till i open.
    suggestions welcomed. Its early to remove the cover for good as its still cold here in the nights and no way near swim weather yet. I doubt it will be below freezing much anymore here but its still possible so i am hesitant to open the pool filter and lines up till maybe mid to late march.
    I want to try to slow down or take care of this algae now as i know it will worsen as the weather does warm and the water temp climbs.

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Default Re: green pool already, help on how to handle it

If you don't want to open yet, you can just pour bleach/liquid chlorine straight into the pool around the perimeter. I do this all the time (not yet, my pool is till covered in snow and ice). Not knowing what size your pool is I cannot tell you how much, but I usually use one 121 oz bottle of 8.25% bleach at a time, I walk around the pool as it pours out. Check the next day. If water is not clear than I use another bottle, and 2 is usually all I need before the pool is clear, though the bottom and sides might still be dirty.

Default Re: green pool already, help on how to handle it

Sorry for your troubles.

Algaecide really won't help once you have algae; it is a preventative. Throwing in bleach now isn't going to do much but be an expense.

Until you feel comfortable opening up the plumbing so you can eradicate the algae, you can try a solid tarp over your mesh to try and slow the growth. It can't hurt.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread