I have a thread hear about getting rid of black Algae - which requires that I shock the pool. I'm concerned about the safety of my dogs if they go into pool while it's being shocked.

I thought a new/separate thread might be more appropriate for this question (in case anyone ever searches for this question) rather than combining it with my other thread.

QUESTIONS:

1) Is it safe to shock my pool to 25ppm (or more) chlorine level and still let my Dogs have access to the pool? One of my dogs like to jump in (several times a day) on the "shallow ledge" and walk around and drink the water to cool off.

2) Are Dogs smart enough to know not to drink the water is the chlorine level is too high (I assume they can smell the high levels)?

3) Is high chlorine levels unsafe for dogs - if yes, at what levels (I know from my Vet that "normal" pool chlorine levels are not an issue)?

If it is unsafe, I need to buy and place some plywood half-sheets or such, around the pool's shallow end to keep the dogs out - as there is no other practical way to keep them away from the pool.