+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Great Value" Bleach raising pH?

Default "Great Value" Bleach raising pH?

Is anyone else using Great Value Concentrated (8.25% Hypochlorite) bleach? I had been using Stop&Shop for a couple of years with no problems, but switched to GV because I couldn't get the big bottles of SS. Ever since, my pH has been climbing. Prior to this, my pH was steady at 7.4 and would drop slightly after a heavy rain. It is now at 7.8 and my skin feels like a mild sunburn after getting out if I don't rinse off. I am using the Taylor R-0870, R-0871, R-003. My levels are:

FC = 0.0 (I know! Sorry!)
    CC < 0.2
    pH = 7.8
    CYA = 45
    TA = 110
    Sharkline Escalade RTR 24' x 54" Round AGP; OptiFlo 2-speed pump; Pentair PLM-100 Cartridge Filter; Hayward 250FDN Heater; Taylor K-2006; AquaIlluminator Return

Default Re: "Great Value" Bleach raising pH?

I don't think the change in bleach is the problem at all. I hope your pool survives the low FC!!!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

I just added 110 oz of the S&S. It should be fine. Why do you suppose pH would rise? Woulld it make sense that at 7.8 it could burn skin?
    Sharkline Escalade RTR 24' x 54" Round AGP; OptiFlo 2-speed pump; Pentair PLM-100 Cartridge Filter; Hayward 250FDN Heater; Taylor K-2006; AquaIlluminator Return

7.8 is at the top of the range. Maybe your skin is more sensitive. Maybe also the pH is actually higher than 7.8. The color matching is hard for some people. Did you go ahead and lower it?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

No. I've never had to do it before. I do have some Muriatic Acid (20% Baume) and I also have some "pH Minus" from Target. Should I attempt to lower? If so, what is the best method?

Thanks.

Okay, sorry for the lazy question. I watched the youtube video linked here about adding MA and I added what I guessed to be around 15 oz. Now, how long should I wait before testing and letting bathers in the pool?

Well I waited about 2 hours and retested. pH was still around 7.7 so I did an acid demand test, which indicated that I needed between 9 oz and 1 pint of acid to get to 7.4. I'll test again in the morning.

I had a long day at work. You can swim as long as your pH is between 7.2-7.8. I am glad it is for sure under 7.8 now. I sure hope this takes care of your "burning" issue!

Thanks FBU. I tested this morning and it is at 7.5. Water is really clear too. Thanks and have a great Sunday!

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Sounds like everything is under control but wanted to add a little to "stir the pot" if you will. Ben has talked a bit about some pools running at a natural pH of 8, and that actually being an easier to maintain pH AND more comfortable. My pH tends to run higher, 7.6-8 at times, and I really don't worry about it much. The pool is clean and comfortable and that's all that matters. I find my eyes feel better with then pH is closer to 8.

The problem is that you cannot know how high your pH actually is once it gets to 8 because the test only goes that high. I have though about getting a digital tester so I can test more accurately. Maybe someday.

+ Reply to Thread